Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I'm making windows and am looking for a tool that will join my 75mm x 58mm stock for the opening light.

Clearly the stock will be rabeted to take the glass so how's the best way to do that? The frame is out of unpainted oak so no chance to hide bodges under paint!

I've tried my standard cabinet making twinset but won't do a good job with 58mm thickness.

Suggestions welcomed!

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys,

Thanks so much and yes you are right different terminology but some of mine probably just plain wrong wherever I am!

So if I say that the sash is the bit the glass sits in we are talking about the sane thing.

There are no glaze bars / muntins. The sash is just the 4 pieces around the glass with no dividers.

In uk most of the off the shelf windows are made with a bigger version of rail and stile type bits I think.

For the project I'm on there is an oak subframe I made which now need the sashes made. For each subframe there are 6 separate sashes. Out of which only 1 is an opening sash. The other 5 are fixed in place.

As I've got to make 60 of these sashes I'm looking for a quick way of making the 50 fixed sashes. So is there a rail and stile type set that will do that?

I recognise the openers may need mortise and tenon but not the fixed ones.

If you know of such a thing that will cope with 58mm thick stock I'd be grateful for a link!

Thanks!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.