Woodworking Talk banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,155 Posts
Since the O.P. seems to be MIA, I just had to comment on the P.C. sander in the picture. Wow, it looks like new and I'm sure works better than anything on today's market. People that have never used one have no idea how well they work. (I had a Skil 4 1/2 x 26 that was far superior to anything made today.) Hope you keep it, and hand it down to someone who will use and appreciate it.
That isn't my sander, mine have much more wear than that one. The only down side I can think of is after using one for a good while it will sure make the back hurt.

·
Registered
27,092 Posts
That isn't my sander, mine have much more wear than that one. The only down side I can think of is after using one for a good while it will sure make the back hurt.
I have to tell you in more than 40 years of working with hand held belt sanders that Porter Cable locomotive sander is the best I've ever used. I don't think you can bog one down or overheat it if you used it continuously all day.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Application testamonials are droll. You need to make it to Prince George, BC (or put it on your bucket list) to watch the belt sander drag races. Your applications, and mine, are so tame and mundane.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I really like the old Porter Cable 504 3 x 24 belt sander. Why do company's always discontinue their better products?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I suggest you to use Porter-Cable 371 . It has many metal components that make it durable enough for rough outdoor carpentry work. Yet it is small and light enough to carry along for making repairs around the house.Textured rubber grips provide comfortable, precise, non-slip control. A removable auxiliary handle can offer even better control when two hands are needed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I suggest you to use Porter-Cable 371 . It has many metal components that make it durable enough for rough outdoor carpentry work. Yet it is small and light enough to carry along for making repairs around the house.Textured rubber grips provide comfortable, precise, non-slip control. A removable auxiliary handle can offer even better control when two hands are needed.
You do know that this thread is from 2013,

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
You cannot put your weight into a belt sander. None of them will take that kind of abuse and will have a short life. These sanders are made to work with only there own weight with you guiding. I suggest you start with heavier grits like a 60 grit. You will be amazed at how fast it goes. If you’re removing paint, you can even start with a 36 grit. Wood starts feeling smooth when you reach 100 grit. Wood starts becoming ready for a finish at 150 and above grit.
I have a large Bosch belt sander that is powerful and easy to use.
For the type work you’re doing it sounds like you need a big machine with a 4” wide belt.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Looks like many great recommendations
I think that this new member is setting up for something nefarious. He/she picked two threads that were long dormant and posted asinine comments on both of them. Wait and see.

It is sad to see you responding to the thread, though. BillCounter doesn't care, I am sure of that.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts