Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 floating shelves I’m making and this wood has tear out throughout it.

There is random tears throughout and you can even see it on the end grain. Because of this I don’t want to cut it down more, it would also make the shelves shallower.
I thought about epoxying this to keep it square and to stop it from chipping in the future but I don’t want to take away too much from the lines. Anyone had a similar issue and come to a great solution?
If you have any finishing dirk reactions to go in as well I haven’t decided on that either.
These are floating shelves that won’t see a ton of movement or any cups.

·
Registered
26,865 Posts
It's not exclusive to zebrawood, you see that in almost any species. You might be able to get some super glue to hold it but it's best just to get another board and not use wood like that.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
There’s a name for that I can’t remember. It’s not checking, it’s something inherent in the wood. I remember I had issues with that in some maple timbers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not exclusive to zebrawood, you see that in almost any species. You might be able to get some super glue to hold it but it's best just to get another board and not use wood like that.
I appreciate your effort but your suggestion is to trash everything I have and start over LOL

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There’s a name for that I can’t remember. It’s not checking, it’s something inherent in the wood. I remember I had issues with that in some maple timbers.
What did you end up doing with that project?

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
They were big 4x4 maple timber’s for a workbench so didn’t affect strength. I ran some thin epoxy onto the cracks and used them.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I like zebrawood for trim on guitar equipment cabs in spite of it being very squirmy when cut. On one head shell a .75"x1.5"x25" piece twisted as I attempted to glue it in place. I had to grab it with a crescent wrench + 6" bolt fixture to twist it back square.

Still going strong three years later - I glue a second piece with the grain going the other way as an inner ring of trim wood..

I look for flaws in wood as I believe them to add to the beauty - I/m currently filling similar splits / defects in a piece of zebrawood. At the same time I seek to add supporting structure to keep the wood doing what I want. Besides filling with epoxy you might want to consider ripping them in half and putting a contrasting bit of something else to add as a stabilizer. Turn a 'flaw' into an artful fix / design element.

Bubinga with a strip of curly maple.

Russ

·
Administrator
David
5,378 Posts
I had some of that in Zebrawood I cut to make the binding for an acoustic guitar I built. Matter of fact, I've seen it often in Zebrawood. On most projects I just glue it as is and keep on going. That wouldn't work on the guitar binding because it's so thin and small so I had to work around it for that project.

David

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
The checks at the end i wouldnt stress too much. The ones you can see from the faces of the board i would recommend squirting on some thin superglue, just to help fill them in a bit. Under a finish, theyll be pretty invisible. Unless you can break the boards bare-handed, i wouldnt sweat those cracks too much

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
My experience with Zebra Wood goes back about 25 years ago or so. It was constantly splitting and checking. After talking to other woodworkers at the time. they all had similar experiences. I never used it to finish my project and will never use it again. Some woods to me re just too much trouble.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Zebrawood is beautiful and its beauty will get you in trouble.....you want to do something cool and it will fail you most times. Use it laminated between other more stable woods or use it for accent items.......don't build things out of it.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
I have turned a bunch of pens out of zebrawood. My spouse has made zebras out of zebrawood for Noah's ark sets. No laminations and no problems. I have friends who have built beautiful boxes from zebrawood, also no problems. The only caveat I know is that some of my friends say that zebrawood smells like the back end of the zebra when you work with it.

This zebrawood pen and pencil set are the ones I use every day in the shop.

·
Administrator
David
5,378 Posts
When I built my acoustic guitar I cut the binding off of a board of Zebrawood and for the most part it behaved without splitting. I also used Zebrawood for binding the fingerboard. I split one piece when bending it but that piece already had a weak spot and probably shouldn't have been used in the first place.

David

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Just remembered what the defects are called - shakes.

Checks are at the end of a board due to uneven drying through the end grain.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts