Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are surprisingly few videos of woodturning on YouTube! Here's my contribution:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wLVA6Ptee4

This is a piece of Columbian verawood, which isn't technically lignum vitae but is about as similar as it gets. Total time represented in this clip is about an hour and 20 minutes. The wood is brownish when freshly cut but after a few days in a well-lit room, it goes a spectacular deep green.

Comments welcome!

Matthew

·
Registered
94 Posts
Matthew,

That is a terrific idea! Any new non-Britney Spears related stuff on Youtube is a good thing. And rookies like me appreciate it.

I dont suppose they have the bandwidth and deep pockets to post videos here. Youtube is as good a place as any I guess. I wonder if some of the other pros around here might be tempted to do some posting there?

Thanks for taking the time to do that!
-Bill

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
There are actually quite a few videos on youtube and I urge everyone to go explore. Yours is very interesting but I think what is really needed are teaching videos. How did you start and finish a cove cut, 5 different ways to turn a bead, how to use a bowl gouge, etc.
I have the turning skills and access to a good video camera but I'm totally oblivious of the computer skills needed to put it together.

·
Registered
484 Posts
John Lucas
I agree with you 100 per cent. We as new turners do need a bunch more teaching videos to show us the way on almost any subject relating to turning or sharpening. Don't tell me to keep my tools sharp, show me how. I must confess that I don't personally need help sharpening but I would love to know how to do just about anything related to turning. John would be the man with the teaching skills to show us a bunch of stuff. Mitch:thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts