Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At least according to Home Depot customer service.

I tried to use a Harbor Freight coupon today and was denied by three Home Depots. Before entering a fourth, I called corporate customer service. The first woman I spoke with said she had never heard of "Harbor Fright" (yes, fright, not freight), nor was she sure of the coupon policy. She connected me to someone else. I explained to him what I was trying to do, and he said HD doesn't accept HF coupons. I told him that if he were to do some Googling, he'd find that people use HF coupons every day at HD. He said it's probably people "doing favors on small items." I said that there are tons of people that use the same coupon (25% off) I have on the same item I want (Ridgid R4512). His response was to tell me that people can say whatever they want on the Internet. Again, I argued back, telling him plenty of people post pictures of their receipts showing 20-25% discounts from using HF coupons. His response: "Sir, anyone can make anything on a computer. Home Depot never has, and never will, accept a coupon pver 10% unless it is a manufacturer's coupon. Also, Home Depot never has, and never will accept a coupon from Harbor Freight," then it was something along the lines of "They are not a competitor as their tools don't even compare to the quality of tools you buy from us.

So, without directly saying it, the customer service agent from HD said you're all liars. I think I'll take my money elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
What I was told at Home Depot was that some stores take them, and it's generally based on whether the store manager believes HF is actually a competitor locally. So if your nearest Harbor Freight is two hours away, the Home Depot won't take their coupon. If it's 15 minutes and they do a huge business in power tools, the store manager is more likely to consider them a valid competitor and take the coupons.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well. Probably it's local rules. HD didn't take HF coupon in my case either saying that HF is not a competitor even local store of HF is in 20 minutes to drive. But local manager gave me 20% off on R4512 on second attempt (same person on second day). Have no idea why. I didn't provide any coupon, just said that I want to buy R4512 but I don't like the price. We just had short discussion how I'm gonna use the saw and why I don't like the price.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Several years ago I wanted to buy an R4512. I had a couple of HF couplons so I call the local HD store and ask for a manager. I explain to the manager that I have an HF coupon and understand they will honor competitor coupons. She says SURE. Off to HD I go to try this out. I pick up a Rigid 12 gallon shop vac, head to check out and voila it works. The next day off to HD I go with my second coupon to get my new saw. I get the saw, head to the checkout and bam, we can't get this to work. I say the manager said they would take them, I tried yesterday on a vacuum no problem, call the manager. Up walks a different person (I didn't realize HD has many managers) and he refuses my coupon. He says he will give 10% and that's it. I go home and call another HD about 20 miles away and they say SURE. Then I call customer service and this person says they should not accept them but If I was told ok then they should have honored the coupon and trained their staff. She contacted the store and instructed them to accept the coupon on this purchase.

Bottom line is you just have to get the right person. Good luck and try again.

·
Registered
13,301 Posts
At least according to Home Depot customer service.

I tried to use a Harbor Freight coupon today and was denied by three Home Depots. Before entering a fourth, I called corporate customer service. The first woman I spoke with said she had never heard of "Harbor Fright" (yes, fright, not freight), nor was she sure of the coupon policy. She connected me to someone else. I explained to him what I was trying to do, and he said HD doesn't accept HF coupons. I told him that if he were to do some Googling, he'd find that people use HF coupons every day at HD. He said it's probably people "doing favors on small items." I said that there are tons of people that use the same coupon (25% off) I have on the same item I want (Ridgid R4512). His response was to tell me that people can say whatever they want on the Internet. Again, I argued back, telling him plenty of people post pictures of their receipts showing 20-25% discounts from using HF coupons. His response: "Sir, anyone can make anything on a computer. Home Depot never has, and never will, accept a coupon pver 10% unless it is a manufacturer's coupon. Also, Home Depot never has, and never will accept a coupon from Harbor Freight," then it was something along the lines of "They are not a competitor as their tools don't even compare to the quality of tools you buy from us.

So, without directly saying it, the customer service agent from HD said you're all liars. I think I'll take my money elsewhere.
No, he did not say that any one was a liar. What he said was that it is not the policy of Home Depot Corporate to take coupons like Harbor Freight.

Local store managers have latitude in some areas to do what they think is best for their stores. That is why some people have been successful using coupons and others have not.

George

·
Registered
885 Posts
I don't work for HD but I do know that many businesses mine included hold their managers to certain standards of productivity. Often it is measured monthly. Some retail stores it is weekly. Managers bonus levels are tied to sales in various ways. A good manager knows the ins and outs of working the system. If he or she needs a good sale or two in the power tool department to meet his bonus level he will be more willing to deal. Sometimes being there at the end of the week makes all the difference

·
Registered
205 Posts
I must be missing something. I have seen the sign at HD saying they honor competitor coupons but I always thought it had to be the exact same product and brand???

I have never seen a Ridgid tool of any kind at Harbor Freight.

Does this mean that Home Depot is supposed to honor a Harbor Freight coupon for a Chicago Electric 12" sliding compound miter saw for $125 and I can bring that coupon into HD and select a Dewalt 12" sliding compound miter saw and only pay $125? My HF is almost directly across the street from my HD.

I know this can't be how it works but I'm still confused.

·
Registered
127 Posts
This is nutz. I would not expect HD to take a 25% off coupon from anybody. If you got away with it, good for you. Price match I understand, but I don't think HF has anything to compare with HD. Funny thing is all this crap is made in China anyways. Just goes to show you how much HD makes on us fools.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I must be missing something. I have seen the sign at HD saying they honor competitor coupons but I always thought it had to be the exact same product and brand???

I have never seen a Ridgid tool of any kind at Harbor Freight.

Does this mean that Home Depot is supposed to honor a Harbor Freight coupon for a Chicago Electric 12" sliding compound miter saw for $125 and I can bring that coupon into HD and select a Dewalt 12" sliding compound miter saw and only pay $125? My HF is almost directly across the street from my HD.

I know this can't be how it works but I'm still confused.
On price match it does have to be the exact item. I think when they started the honor competitors coupon thing they never thought about HF. A coupon is a coupon. I doubt my local store would honor them any longer but I might give it a try sometime.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I do work for HD, store level department supervisor. I will only say that it is very much up to manager discretion on the HF coupons. Demanding doesnt work very well with the managers in my area but being polite and calm will help your case.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I really like EHCRain's post on this topic. All to often the store clerks and waiters and bank tellers and all service people get beat up by obnoxious, arrogant and plain old mean folks simply for doing their jobs. Store clerks are not clerks, they're people doing their jobs.

As for the coupon business - I've never tried it. If I see an item I want in a Rockler, HD or HF store, I buy it. If I don't like the price, I walk away from it. If I really like something but can't afford it - I go home and start saving for it. If I've lived this long without it, I can wait till I have the money.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Below is their coupon policy taken from their site. Personally I think in itself it is very clear. If I got anything more from my local HD than what is listed below, I would feel grateful and move on.

I buy from HF and HD as well. I don't think I could ever evenly compare the quality between the two.

Will you match other store prices?
If you find a current lower price on an identical, in-stock item from any retailer (online or in a store), we will match the price and beat it by 10% Guaranteed. Simply print the product/item page (including applicable taxes and shipping) and take it to your local The Home Depot store for verification. If we find the same lower price elsewhere, we will be glad to match the price.
This guarantee excludes closeouts, liquidations, special order, clearance and open-box merchandise, John Deere and Cub Cadet products, labor and installation, sales tax, rebate and free offers, typographical errors and online purchases. Local store prices may vary from those displayed on homedepot

·
Registered
395 Posts

Well, the continuing testimonials within THIS DISCUSSION TREAD confirms otherwise.

So to the Home Depot customer service agent . . . .

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I don't understand the resentment towards Home Depot not honoring it....no one can legitimately even attempt to claim that hf and hd carry the same level of tools....why should hd honor it?

If they have for some....great...congrats....

But to expect them to is like going to a gm dealer and asking for a caddy....but demanding it for the price of a Kia down the street....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts