Woodworking Talk banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
I gotta get a Woodmaster 50" drum sander.......but first I gotta have the space to put one...:yes: :yes:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Delta Sawbuck

The sawbuck is high on my list of wants with many other items. The sawbuck will replace any miter saw on the market (IMO) and can handle wide boards, plus it's portable.

Stew

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
Don't think it will ever replace SCMS simply because woodworkers will not purchase a Sawbuck over a miter; CHANGE Stew. Even Delta cannot get WWers to CHANGE their thinking enough to choose a Sawbuck over a SCMS. :no:

I don't know enough about them to critique it, but it seems they could not do compound miter cuts as effeciently as a SCMS. i can envision cutting crown moulding and having to make amny different, FAST adjustments and the sawbuck looks cumbersome for that task.

Also, they do not make them anymore so I guess getting one could be an issue. I am interested to know more about it though because until you mentined it I hadn't heard of them. What little I learned I just looked up on Google but there isn't much to be read ............

·
Registered
40 Posts
Bois, the sawbuck was the first sliding compound miter saw. I like it better because it has a 4 foot long table by roughly 18 inches. It has wheels and folding legs on it. The head would pivot and rotate just like a compound and there wasn't an angle you couldn't cut with it. And wide crown, up to 12 inches you could cut flat with a perfect fit every time. The setup for angles was simple, turn a screw handle to pivot the head on the table and turn a knob to set the head at the compound angle. When I used one during my cabinet and trim days, I could change settings in less than 10 seconds.

When the SCMS started coming out, people lost interest in the sawbuck because of the price, in the 800 dollar range. I would still take one over any miter saw on the market today even if I have to buy it part by part. (replacement parts are still available for it):yes:

Stew

·
Registered
16 Posts
Kirk, I had to do the logging first, as the other hsalf got a hold of half the dollars for the unit and built the new deck. I just could not understand her reasoning, as half the old deck was still standing, kinda.:furious:

Anyways, I will be using some of the logging money to make up for the losses on getting the deck rebuilt. I am also putting an addition on the mill building to house the unit. It is a simple leeeeean tooooo, 16' x 50' and slope from 16' against the building to 10' high at 16' from the building

41 - 48 of 48 Posts