Woodworking Talk banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Thanks guys, for the help. Now I have to examine the Makita. Boy, though, the 16" capacity sure is inviting on the Dewalt. Maybe if I get the Makita SCMS, it will give me an excuse (like I need one) to buy the Bosch portatble TS.
Thanks again.
Rob

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
...... an excuse (like I need one) to buy the Bosch portatble TS.....
Rob
Rob you don't need no steenking excuse to get it, it's the best portable saw available right now. Although, and I hate to say this nasty "R" word in public, but the FW 2007 Tool Review gave the Ry*bi portable "Best Buy" They even said it floored them as they were not expecting anything form it but were pleasantly suprised.
Personally, I wouldn't be caught with one just on principal :no: but if you need a portable and don't use one much, it was cheap and, according to FW, a pretty darned good saw.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A table saw is on my must have. And....Ryobi isn't bad for the casual homeowner diy'er. I have several of the One+ tools and haven't been disappointed yet with them. Although...I'd much prefer Ridgid, but I'm not rich.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bois D' Arc Boy,
I am thinking of the Rigid, heard good things about it is around $380.
If not that it will be the dewalt, that one is over $400. I am interested in a 12" to 13" planer. Any advice?

·
Registered
22 Posts
A table saw is on my must have. And....Ryobi isn't bad for the casual homeowner diy'er. I have several of the One+ tools and haven't been disappointed yet with them. Although...I'd much prefer Ridgid, but I'm not rich.
I have not had much luck withe Ryobi tools except for a 14v drill and palm sander. I have used some of their power tools...and took them all back. I have never used their table saw, but the terms "best buy" really mean cheap. I do have the Ridgid TS24241 and it is a quality table saw. No matter what, the table saw is probably the most important shop tool. I have no regrets for buying my table saw over something cheaper.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Wood magazine just did a tool review on planers. THe Dewalt DW735 was the top tool at around $500.00. The Top value was the Ridgid TP1300LS. I personally have the Delta 22-580 and love it. It did good in the review but they were not inpressed with the blade zero guide and the depth set knob does not work very well. That being said, those two things have never bothered or affected what I was doing.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
Bois D' Arc Boy,
I am thinking of the Rigid, heard good things about it is around $380.
If not that it will be the dewalt, that one is over $400. I am interested in a 12" to 13" planer. Any advice?
Even though I don't care much for Dewalt I do own some of their tools. For my shop planer, I have the 6" x 12" 4-post benchtop planer and I love it. A very high quality, well engineered machine. The dust collection port gets stopped up sometimes but alot of planers do. It was $499 so it isn't cheap but in my opinion worth every cent.

As far as Ryobi cordless tools they S-T-I-N-K IMHO, but as I've said, that benchtop tablesae did look like the best value. But for someone who is going to use it alot spend the extra couple hundred bucks and get the Bosch. Amazon sometimes runs specials where they throw in the cart for free. The cart has gotten rave reviews all by itself.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've seen this advertised. Have not bought one yet, but I gaurantee it won't be long. Years ago, I had a little "Skill" belt sander that was the one of the handiest things around for talkng saw marks out of the edge of ripped boards, becaue you could control it with one hand. It was just a scaled down versions of a regular belt sander, but it could easily be handled with one hand. Great for dressing ripped edges. Of course it was more of a homeowner grade tool, so after a couple of years it died. This palm grip design looks fantastic.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My next belt sander

This would be my choice for my next belt sander,i've used these for many years in shops and i love them.Not a tool for the new kid on the block ,lots of power and could turn a counter top into a soup bowl real quick.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well if we're talking no budget limit , an Agazzani 36" BS or a MM36" BS .. And a Big Sliding TS ... Budget Limited , then the MM16 or MM20

21 - 40 of 48 Posts