Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I realize most woodworkers don't think much about sandpaper. I never did until I recently bought a pack of 3M Sandblaster sandpaper. What a difference from the generic crap I used to buy. It really removes material and will not clog up. With my old sandpaper I refused to use my sanding blocks because it clogged so quickly that I spent more time changing the paper than sanding. Does anyone else have a favorite brand of sandpaper?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sandpaper

Ken,I say that sandpaper is just another hand tool,and an important one.Well at HD I have always purchase the Norton's 3X paper 9X11,3sheets in a pack for 3.98+ taxes.Thats around 1.33 per sheet.Today I order sandpaper from Industrial Abrasive Co. 50 sheets per pack of the A/O at 16.00 At another forum,say its stays sharp longer and won't load up as bad as others.So I thought I would give it a try.Some said they prefer it over Kingspor's.I guess I will fine out.New to this forum and liking its.Great people here. CJ Courtney

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Gatorgrit from Lowes. I always keep an abrasive cleaning stick handy for use on my belt and disc sanders. Really makes them last longer.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Ken - Don't know if you're talking about sanding discs, but there was a side by side comparison done on discs.

It came out of a magazine so I don't have it handy to post online, but the basis of the comparison was the "cost to remove one gram of wood." It was the fairest way to rate them, I thought, because it took into consideration your end net-cost of using them, and not the shelf price (i.e. discs that are higher priced may well last longer, etc.)

3M Sand Blaster, although it stays clean, was the worst - about 9 cents per gram. Klingspor was the best at around 3 cents I believe. I order them online from the Klingspor siter at $12 for a box of 50.

Norton 3X was right behind Klingspor.

I did rub my brother-in-laws nose in the Sand Blaster because he's a retired 3Mer and still thinks they walk on water, as well as everyone who works there.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll have to order some of the Klingspor.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yeah - I'd been buying discs from the BORGs before I saw that test, and couldn't believe how much cheaper they are from the mfr. I now get 50 for about what I was paying for 12. You'll sure notice the difference first time you turn the sander on too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i like the norton 3x especially on hardwoods. they last much longer than the normal norton even but they are pricey and they don't package them in large quantity.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Also new to the site. I use the Norton 3X on my Orbital sanders and really like it. Doesn't get clogged up and last. Tried it on my belt sander too and got great results. I use mostly oak and cherry wood. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
311 Posts
The bast paper I ever used is the one I use on all my car
bodywork/painting projects,
3M (gold) Free-Cut.
(Not to be confused with their other papers)
It beats everything else I've tried.
It's also the most expensive, but considering it last twice as long,
it's a bargain.:icon_smile:

·
Pianoman
708 Posts
I have to say... Norton is very good. I buy the 5" sticky back in rolls of about 100 for about $22.00 . It seems to not load up as much as wackey paper . Rick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts