Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Never tried them. I tend to buy name brand bits. As to why:

1. Not all carbide is the same

2. Some I expensive bits are a bit untrue. At 20,000 rpm this can cause enough imbalance to make getting clean cuts impossible. Not to mention the added wear on the routers bearings.

3. The brazing holding the carbide could be weak. I have no desire to see what happens when the carbide pops off at 20,000-rpm. Murphy's Law says it will embed itself in me. Most probably in somewhere vital, extremely sensitive or both.

My advice is to stick to name brand bits.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Who has the cheapest bits, that are good quality?

Never tried them. I tend to buy name brand bits. As to why:

1. Not all carbide is the same

2. Some I expensive bits are a bit untrue. At 20,000 rpm this can cause enough imbalance to make getting clean cuts impossible. Not to mention the added wear on the routers bearings.

3. The brazing holding the carbide could be weak. I have no desire to see what happens when the carbide pops off at 20,000-rpm. Murphy's Law says it will embed itself in me. Most probably in somewhere vital, extremely sensitive or both.

My advice is to stick to name brand bits.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Well, I gotta say that's movin' up at $3.20 each. Yes, I wouldn't suggest those either. Part of the problem with "sets" is that a quantity of those bits will likely never get used. You might get a "starter" set to see which bits you will be using, and then when the time comes replace it with a better one.

I think a cheap bit can be dangerous.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a cheap set that was given to me, but two of the bits died.

I use a 1/4" straight, a flush, 45 chamfer, roman, and a round over.
Now, I need to find out if the Rockler bits are 'good.'

You might get a "starter" set to see which bits you will be using, and then when the time comes replace it with a better one.

·
John
3,028 Posts
I've got a few of those. Not a bad bit for the money. I usually just get those one at a time for one of jobs but I find them to be pretty sharp, at least right out of the box.
If you are looking to build an inventory and have that kind of budget I would suggest this one:
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/set45.html
Has about every configuration you need to get started and then replace with Whitside, Amana or Eagle America as they wear out. I don't usually buy sets any more but I also remember that when I had none, quantity trumped quality.
One thing I noticed about Yonico is their straight bits are all metric, well, they are actually inch base, just labeled metric; ie- the 1/4" bit is labeled 6.35mm and half inch bit is labeled 12.7mm:blink:

As far as Rockler vs Freud, the Freud bits are the better of the two. The Rockler are a typical house brand, about the same as the MLCS, Stone Mountain (Peachtree), Wood River (Woodcraft) etc.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
I'm another who doesn't think spending a sizable chunk of money for a large quantity of cheap quality bits is a wise investment. As stated, the quality is typically marginal....some will cut reasonably well for a while, but many won't hold up long, and some won't perform well from the start....there's also increased safety concerns with very cheap bits. Also, many of the bits are near duplicates of other profiles....very few are unique commonly used profiles. What to use is subjective, but most of us find that we use a handful of bits repeatedly, never touching many of the obscure profiles that come with large sets.

There are smaller basic sets of higher quality bits of the most frequently used profiles for about the same money (or less) that you're willing to spend on a larger cheap set. One such set is the Whiteside 7pc basic set...made in the USA, top shelf quality and performance that will perform better for longer, and are worth resharpening when they dull. IMHO, it's better to spend $100 of your bit budget on something like that, then add specialty profiles as needed. Holbren sells the Whiteside set for ~ $95 shipped, and is a great supplier.

While I certainly don't consider MLCS bits to be top shelf, I do consider them one of the better bargain bits available....they're well backed by a good family run company. They're good enough that I don't consider them significantly more hazardous than better bits, and they perform pretty well for a reasonable length of time. Their 15 pc for ~ $48 shipped includes the most commonly used profiles, with very few obscure bits that you probably won't use. At that price, there's at least a lot less financial downside, and it leaves a fair amount of budget to put towards any potential specialty profiles as you need them.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Nice set, I was thinking about getting ones below. But, your link includes all of them and more. Thanks!

But before I buy that set from holbren, because I am spending $100 for just 7 bits - Is there a better set I can get? Someone with higher quality and not significantly higher price?

One such set is the Whiteside 7pc basic set...

IMHO, it's better to spend $100 of your bit budget on something like that, then add specialty profiles as needed. Holbren sells the Whiteside set for ~ $95 shipped, and is a great supplier.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Also, this appears to be the same set. Do you mind checking it for me to be sure I didn't make a mistake? :icon_smile:

Whiteside 401 Basic Router Bit Set - Includes 1058 - 1067 - 2405 - 1804 - 1901 - 2008 - 2305 1/2" shank - Amazon.com
The set on Amazon appears to be the same set Holbren has. Holbren is a much smaller family run business, which is always nice to support. He used to offer 10% to BT3Central members using "BT310" in the discount code line. You're not likely to find Whiteside caliber bits for less.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, gentlemen.

The set on Amazon appears to be the same set Holbren has. Holbren is a much smaller family run business, which is always nice to support. He used to offer 10% to BT3Central members using "BT310" in the discount code line. You're not likely to find Whiteside caliber bits for less.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have quite a few of those Yonico/Precision brand router bits myself and find them to be pretty decent. They are imported and seem to be on par with CMT, MLCS and a couple of other brands of bits I have. I haven’t had any problems with unusual vibration or failure of the carbide or brazing. I own one of their larger 1/2 shank multi-bit sets similar to the one in the pic as well as some raised panel bits and other individual bits for things like tongue and groove, finger joints, etc. They probably wouldn't hold up to heavy production type work, but seem fine for my contractor use on the job and around the shop. I really don't expect them to last forever, but overall they seem to work fine and I think they were a good value, considering the price.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Any thoughts as to Bosch router bits?

I was in Lowe's today and browsed through the selection ... they're not cheap (price wise), but that doesn't necessarily translate into quality.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Any thoughts as to Bosch router bits?

I was in Lowe's today and browsed through the selection ... they're not cheap (price wise), but that doesn't necessarily translate into quality.
They're usually priced near the premium bits like Infinity, Whiteside, and Eagle (or higher), but I'm not confident that they perform to that level, so I usually pass on Bosch bits unless they're clearance priced. This chart supports my view...Fine Woodworking rated them "good":

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Where can I get that chart in decent quality?

This one is a little better, but still not good:

They're usually priced near the premium bits like Infinity, Whiteside, and Eagle (or higher), but I'm not confident that they perform to that level, so I usually pass on Bosch bits unless they're clearance priced. This chart supports my view...Fine Woodworking rated them "good":

1 - 20 of 23 Posts