Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you use for the center pin when making a yo-yo?

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
266 Posts
How about a 3/16 or 1/8" dowel???

Most yo-yos I've seen have a wooden center pin.

Nancy

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was thinking they were steel, maybe a stainless. Thought the wood might grab the string. But then the steel may not let it come back up.

Mike

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Try these. I messed around making some yoyos, the bearing kits on this link work best. http://www.pennstateind.com/store/yoyo.html

Actually I have made several yoyos. They seem like the easiest thing in the world to make. But they require some attention to work properly , sleep at the end of the string, "brake" and return, not wobble... Not all wood will even make a decent yoyo. You need heavy stock like rock maple (the old timey ones like the Duncan where made from that) osage, purple heart.... There is stuff like center weight vs. rim weight. I went to extent of buying a digital scale that measures in .0001 of grams, two 1/2s cut from the same board can weight different and wobble. Too light and it will not build enough kinetic energy on a throw to work right.

If you really want to get into making them I can expand more on what I learned. It is easy to make one that looks great, but making one that works great is a little harder. There are a couple pictures in my gallery of some early experiments with yoyos. Here is a picture of the very first yoyo I ever made (for my nephew) it doesn't look too bad...but it doesn't work very good :laughing:. Because of the stuff I mentioned. It is more a "looking at" toy than a "playing with". This one is made from curly maple and maple burl. I did some research and learned how to make them eventually.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Sorry, wrong item.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts