Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Overconfidant Rookie
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a little sample chunk of a log I might be able to get for free. After planning, it looks a lot like cherry. The tree looks different than I what I thought cherry trees looked like, but maybe (probably) I'm wrong.

Attachments

·
Overconfidant Rookie
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Oops, forgot context. First pic is close up of a split section, part of which I planed flat on the quartersawn face.
Second pic: on the left is the log in question. On the right is a piece of cherry, both planed end grain.
Third pic, top to bottom:
The log in question
A quartersawn piece of cherry finished w/ BLO
An unfinished quartersawn piece of cherry.

I have a pic of the bark, but I can't get it to upload. It's a little like sugar maple, but crisscrossed, if that makes any sense.

·
Overconfidant Rookie
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. Phinds, your site is great. I've used it before, but I can never remember the site or your screen name when I need it. Now its bookmarked.

No leaves, and I still cant get the bark uploaded. I'm confident its American black cherry. The grain patterns are all perfect matches and its as soft as the other cherry I have. The look of the tree was throwing me off, plus how pink the wood is rather than dark red.

Will post pictures if I can get my hands on the whole log.

·
Registered
28 Posts
phinds said:
The color would be right for fresh-cut sycamore, but the end grain structure is wrong --- the rays are too skinny (and probably too numerous although I'm not as sure about that)
I didn't think that end grain looked right, and not familiar with cherry. But the wavy pattern looks a little like sycamore.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
I didn't think that end grain looked right, and not familiar with cherry. But the wavy pattern looks a little like sycamore.

Yeah, the wavy ray flake pattern does look a lot like sycamore but after you get used to seeing the two it becomes pretty clear what the difference is almost all the time. I'm not saying I could never be fooled by cherry/sycamore difference based just on the ray flakes, but it would be unusual.

·
Reclaimed Woods
22 Posts
Yeah, the wavy ray flake pattern does look a lot like sycamore but after you get used to seeing the two it becomes pretty clear what the difference is almost all the time. I'm not saying I could never be fooled by cherry/sycamore difference based just on the ray flakes, but it would be unusual.
Color is certainly right for cherry. We've never seen sycamore quite that pink (not to say it couldn't happen). The end grain is certainly close. Based on those pics, consider this another vote for cherry.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Color is certainly right for cherry. We've never seen sycamore quite that pink (not to say it couldn't happen). The end grain is certainly close. Based on those pics, consider this another vote for cherry.
Check out my sycamore page. There's some bright pink just-milled stuff about half way down the page that might amaze you if the piece in this thread is more pink than the pinkest you've ever seen for sycamore.

EDIT: Oh ... I already mentioned that in post #6

·
Registered
792 Posts
I too would say it's cherry. Another way to verify would be for the OP to smell it. Cherry smells much sweeter than sycamore.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts