Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a good looking panel saw at one of the local resale shops. The handle looks Atkins. The medallion is Warranted Superior. The plate was rusty, but took a nice shine when cleaned. Almost like a damaskeened nickel color.

Carving Metal

Machete Blade Metal

The etch is faint, but I can make out :blank: Weston, Dallas Texas, a "50" inside of a shield, "patent bound" in one of the banners. Pretty elaborate really. It is a 20" skew back panel saw. Does anyone have any info on this saw? I'm not a collector, just a user. I'm just intrigued when I find something that can't be looked up on google.

·
Registered
104 Posts
... "patent bound" in one of the banners ...
It almost certainly says "PATENT GROUND" -- a reference to the taper of the plate from spine to teeth (and sometimes from heel to toe). Many, many examples of hand saws exist, which were made by one of the big three (Atkins, Disston, Simonds) and then branded for sale by a smaller concern such as a hardware store or big retailer like Sears, or Montgomery Wards.
Yours looks like a D-23 to me.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Response and a Question

I have one that looks quite similar, but is the straight-backed version and a detail of the wheat is a bit different. I ID'd it as a D-20 to 23 (i forget which exactly but I understand they are all related). No picture since i'm not at home but I can provide later.

On a similar note, I am considering purchasing the below as part of a lot, but I can't seem to ID them. The two nuts and one medallion is giving me trouble. Anyone have thoughts as to origin?

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Those are "panel saws." Few understand the origin of the term; they are of a length suited to being stored in the panel of a tool chest (as shown). Most authorities are in agreement that panel saws are somewhere between 16 and 24" in length.

(modernly, the term "panel saw" refers to an arrangement wherein a sheet or panel is supported vertically for the purpose of making cuts with a power saw which rides on a track).

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. The reason I guessed it was Atkins made, was the 2 "ridges" on the top horn. I squinted just right at the etch and it has "spring steel" on one side of the shield and "patent ground" on the other. It also says "hand made" along the bottom. I'm in the process of sharpening it with the Bad Axe hybrid pattern. 10 degrees rake, 17.5 fleam, 5 degrees slope

·
Registered
406 Posts
Thanks. I didn't realize that the panel saws can have fewer nuts. Right now his is in a lot going for $60. T has a whole mess of stuff I'd use, including brace bits, a no 12 scraper a router plane etc etc. I am sure te price will rise, probably out of my range near the end but I'm going to give it a go. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
406 Posts
john sayles said:
Eastex - upon further consideration, I have to concur with your original assessment of that saw as being an Atkins. Your statement concerning the ridges made me take a second look.
I found a picture of my d 22ish and there are some differences, eg the number of nuts. Mine is newer and less ornate as well. Perhaps not a disston after all. I know almost nothing about saw ID ing. There are some on here very good at it.

Wood Revolver Hardwood Finger Carving

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.