Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all. Being new to this forum and aware of its traditions, here's a quick overview of who I am.

Don't call me Ishmael, rather call me Alan. I currently live in Vermont, having gone completely over the edge simply trying to get out of the San Francisco Bay Area for a fishing weekend with my son a while back--6 hours to get the 150 miles from San Jose to Arnold. Life is way too short to spend in a parking lot on I-580 in Livermore... uh... lovely town though I'm sure it is. (I'd hate to offend anyone from the area with my very first post. No offense intended. Honest. It's just that my head exploded.)

With kids now in college, I am getting back to some time in the wood shop. I am far from a professional--I do much of my own home repair work, but hire pros when I get beyond my comfort zone. A good example: I installed my own sauna after having had the framing done & the electrical roughed-in professionally. I have a fair shop... table saw, miter saw, router (though I need to build a table for it), a couple power sanders, the basic hand tools... not enough space in the basement and enough anxiety about the boiler in the corner with dust in the air to drive me into the garage for bigger jobs. I love the smell, the feel, and the look of wood.

I just finished a coffee table for my son that I'll address in a separate post, looking for some finishing advice. I'm starting a bigger project, this time WITH my son during his summer break--funny how those weekend trips to the Sierra ultimately work out, pretty much regardless of the parking-lot frustrations, isn't it?--that I will also be seeking some advice with.

This appears to be a terrific group. The advice threads I've pawed through so far are outstanding. I look forward to participating, learning a lot, and hopefully being able to stay engaged enough over time to give back as well. Thank you in advance to all of you who give of your time and expertise to help those of us so desperately in need of it.

And special thanks to those who put this forum together and who keep it up & running. You guys are fantastic!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Welcome to NE and welcome to the site!

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Welcome Aboard

Attachments

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, guys. Good to be here.

BermieL: 'Seasonal' seems right... either winter or construction, as I've so far observed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts