Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Craftsman 3 wheel 10inch bandsaw that is around 15 yrs old(Hey, no laughing!) I had to change blades due to a break. I did all the right things to get it aligned. I'm using a 1/4 inch blade with 6 teeth per inch. It starts out cutting straight and towards the end of the cut I can see the blade sort of bend or curve to the right which gives me a bad cut. This is hindering my toy making. Any help would be appreciated.:help:

Gary

·
Registered
803 Posts
When you say "bend" do you mean it's twisting in the cut? If so it's the guides/set up.

Three wheeled saws are a bear to set up.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The more I tighten the blade, the more the motor groans and the wheels won't move. The blade pulls to the right. I tried forcing it to the left with the guides but it still wants to go right. It won't cut straight.

Gary

·
Registered
803 Posts
Sounds like a tracking issue. How do the wheels look??? Are they co-planer??? Crowned??? How's your bank account??? Me thinks you need a good 14".:laughing: Sorry, I have to throw a smartass comment in every once in a while.
Don't wrack the blade too tight or you'll pooch your bearings.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ye Olde Bandsaw

Sounds like a tracking issue. How do the wheels look??? Are they co-planer??? Crowned??? How's your bank account??? Me thinks you need a good 14".:laughing: Sorry, I have to throw a smartass comment in every once in a while.
Don't wrack the blade too tight or you'll pooch your bearings.

Well if I didn't have to spend $2500 on a basement flood cleanup twice in the last 2 yrs and $900 on car repairs I would have had a new saw. I'll get one some day. In the meantime I'll work with what I have. Smart ass comments appreciated.

Gary

·
flatiron
71 Posts
saw

does the blade have a twist in it ? put the blade on and tighten you may have to reset one of the wheels, tighten by the tention gage on the saw it should have one. turn by hand till it looks good, then turn on the saw for a second or two if it runs straight then set the blade guides to match the new blade. dont tighten too tight,,,
you may know all this already.......... I some times tweek the tention some. there some more little tricks, but I've got that CRS disease

·
Registered
113 Posts
Did you buy a cheap blade? Good blades won't flex as much due to the stiffness of the back of the blade. As you push wood through you cause the tooth side to buckle and the backside to stretch. A cheap blade will flex causing the drift and cranking down the tension won't help like it would on a quality blade.

I had a gigantic three wheeled bandsaw for many years. I believe the wheels were 21" and the throat depth was about 40". It never would resaw well, but it did wonderfully on stuff 6" or so in thickness.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bandsaw

In fairness I don't think you can get anything other than cheap blades for a 10" Craftsman.

You are right. The blades for this saw can only be bought at Sears. They are 56 7/8ths whereas most 3 wheelers take a 56 1/8th blade and some take a 59" blade.

Gary

·
Registered
803 Posts
DAMN THEM AND THEIR PROPRIETARY JUNK!!!!! I recall some years ago that they had a dovetail jig that would ONLY werk with their bits....

·
Registered
113 Posts
Check with Iturra. They can make any blade you want. They're also about the best supplier of bandsaw parts there is. I was turned onto them about a year ago and will only buy bandsaw parts from them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got a Craftsman 3 wheel 10inch bandsaw that is around 15 yrs old(Hey, no laughing!) I had to change blades due to a break. I did all the right things to get it aligned. I'm using a 1/4 inch blade with 6 teeth per inch. It starts out cutting straight and towards the end of the cut I can see the blade sort of bend or curve to the right which gives me a bad cut. This is hindering my toy making. Any help would be appreciated.:help:

Gary
HI SEAWOLF. I have a similar saw made by DELTA,same age also. I use it for small projects only. I would start over again with a new blade, vacum out the internal of the saw and start all over with the set up. These saws are a real bear to get working right, if every thing mechanically is 0.k. reset up with a new blade may solve your problem. I hope this works for you, This saw can be very frustrating at times. SPIKE0.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts