Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was the official 'Community Yard Sale' day in the thriving village of Williamsport (Pop. 950). The town was loaded with sellers and buyers but I must admit, after a couple hours of walking past baby clothes and broken plastic toys I had all but given up. I walked into a sale with tables out front of a garage filled with used waffle irons, stereos with one speaker missing, yada, yada, yada.

Then I noticed the sign on the front of the garage....'Tools inside'. The sellers husband (a retired machinist) had passed a few years ago and she decided to sell his tools. Most were metal working tools, micrometers and such, all at what I thought were great prices. Then I spotted the combination squares. A 6" Starrett and a 12" Lufkin. Both need a little cleaning but a STEAL at $35.00 for BOTH.

I also picked up a couple more bar clamps and a dozen or so spring clamps for $10, and an old awl. Combine that with the wooden block plane my wife got me yesterday for $5.00, not a bad haul for the event.

Attachments

·
Registered
614 Posts
Nice find. Starretts always go for a premium price around here. I've never heard of Lufkin before. Do they, or have they made quality stuff?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just googled Lufkin and from their website it appears they no longer make squares. The 12" square I bought has 'Lufkin No 2504' on the rule and nothing on either head. Ebay has a few ranging from $12.00 to $100.00. :eek: I think they were mid-range in quality, I'm just not sure. What I was able to find, most people liked them.

The 6" Starrett still sells on their website for $98.00. :thumbsup:

I'm getting ready to head out to the shop to try them out, we'll see. :icon_smile:

·
Sawdust Maker
189 Posts
I just googled Lufkin and from their website it appears they no longer make squares. The 12" square I bought has 'Lufkin No 2504' on the rule and nothing on either head. Ebay has a few ranging from $12.00 to $100.00. :eek: I think they were mid-range in quality, I'm just not sure. What I was able to find, most people liked them.

The 6" Starrett still sells on their website for $98.00. :thumbsup:

I'm getting ready to head out to the shop to try them out, we'll see. :icon_smile:
Lufkin is far from mid range concerning quality. Lufkin made and still makes high quality tools. They don't make as many items as they used too, but what they do make is of good quality. I have a lot of old Lufkin tools and they are some of my favorites.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Not sure if this was a super deal, but this thread got me amped up to go looking. Got a starrett combo square at a flea market for $40.

image-3292805432.jpg

I'm a long time reader and finally decided to post here. I get so much info, I haven't had to ever post. Just a hobbyist woodworker from NH.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts