Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was my first attempt at outboard turning and by far the biggest hunk of wood I've turned. What a beating! After 7 1/2 hrs of trying to make a bowl out of that thing I'm pretty sure I won't be doing it again anytime soon.
At the very end I was turning the foot with the bowl on a vacuum chuck when my outboard tool rest shifted and hit the bowl knocking it off the chuck. Amazingly it dropped straight down and spun out in a pile of shavings with only a tiny scratch. I'm gonna stick to salad bowls for awhile. That was too much like work.
Red oak. 26" x 6". Tung oil. I'll post more pics after it warps.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Wowza!!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
That was one big chunk of wood!!! :eek::eek:
Really like the product and appreciate the effort!
My lathes can do either 16 or 17 inches--larger like yours if I go outboard-- but for now I think that's plenty big enough for me. Heck I'd need a hoist to mount the blank you used.

Reactions: Bonanza35

·
Registered
620 Posts
what a BEAST!!!! man I'd love to have the opportunity to go after something that size... can't wait to see how much it moves... very pretty and well turned:)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi that is a good looking bowl keep oiling and it should warp very little. The bug has got you the next one will take less time and by the 4th 2.5 hours max well done. I enjoy seeing chaps push the envelope.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Man that's got some pretty figure.
But what do you do with a bowl that large?
Bath tub? Laughing!!!!

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tambotie said:
Hi that is a good looking bowl keep oiling and it should warp very little. The bug has got you the next one will take less time and by the 4th 2.5 hours max well done. I enjoy seeing chaps push the envelope.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks for the encouragement but it took me that long just to true it up ! Maybe it will seem more appealing in a few days. I have another trunk section that's even bigger sitting outside my shop so we'll see...

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dominick said:
Man that's got some pretty figure. But what do you do with a bowl that large? Bath tub? Laughing!!!!
That's exactly what I told my 8 yr old. Truthfully, I have no idea why anyone would buy a 26" bowl. I don't even know how I'll store it :). It was more for the experience I guess.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I cringed when I read that it fell off the lathe! Now you have a good excuse not to clean your floor, cheap insurance!:laughing::laughing:

It is absolutely beautiful!

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
If I had a Robust lathe, I'd be tempted to try something like that myself ... once ("because I can") :yes:

You did a great job on this one, both the form and the finish look excellent.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hydrohead said:
I love the shavings everywhere in the shop, we all live with that.
The scary thing is that I had a clean floor before I started that bowl. Haven't cleaned since though :).

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
laxin213 said:
Did you use a vac chuck the whole time? What lathe? Thanks
I mounted a 6" faceplate to the flat (rim) side then made a flat spot on the foot side after I had it trued up. Then I took it off the lathe, remounted the faceplate on the foot side and finish turned the outside and inside. That's when i flipped it around onto the vacuum chuck to finish the bottom.
I think I need to improve my vac chucks with some rubber gaskets or something with some flexibility to improve the seal. I'd love suggestions.
It's a Robust AB25 lathe. I'm very happy with it.
The bowl is now 26" x 24 1/2". No cracks, fingers crossed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts