Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'll be making a crosscut sled soon and am wondering if I should make the fence out of ply or hardwood. I don't have a jointer to run a hardwood board through, so would a couple of pieces of ply glued together be a good option?

·
Registered
364 Posts
I agree about the plywood, stable and flat. I used it for the bottom and the blade guard on mine, poplar and a strip of oak in front. Double runners.

·
where's my table saw?
29,617 Posts
I prefer hardwood

I don't like the edge of plywood showing on jigs. Actually my sled has 3 separate fences. Two of them are adjustable and are ahead of the front fence which is structural. There's a gap between the adjustable fences where the saw blade goes after the cut.

However, you can make a sled with the blade extending towards the operator after the cut OR the blade does not extend out towards the operator, which I prefer for safety reasons like this:

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f27/table-saw-sled-build-49218/

·
Registered
291 Posts
I used a laminated plywood fence for many years with this router table. Extremely stable and stiff. I remember squaring the face on the tablesaw. Only pic I have, the fence is at the front. Your fence wouldn't need to be this wide. However, all my sleds have hardwood fences.
You should be fine either way, just don't stand a piece of plywood on edge and expect it to remain straight and stable!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts