Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the near future planning on adding a Wyne filter to my HF DC. Just wondering which unit most of you are using and why. Also what kind of cost am I looking at?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I called them to place my order and the nice woman who talked to me discussed the different filters and their advantages. I'd recommend giving them a call and talking about your needs and which would best suit your situation.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I called them to place my order and the nice woman who talked to me discussed the different filters and their advantages. I'd recommend giving them a call and talking about your needs and which would best suit your situation.
Thanks so much for the suggestion. Can you pass the phone number on? I would appreciate it.

·
Thumb Nailer
2,454 Posts
I called them, and talked directly with Mr. Wynn. We talked about the sorts of projects I do, and after talking it over, we opted for the 35A Spun Bond poly filter. The big advantage for me was that the spun bond is the only one that is washable. The nano fiber provides slightly better filtration, but costs more, and it is not washable.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I'm getting ready to order a couple of their filters to hang on my Oneida....got their number posted on a post-it right on the computer. It's 215-442-9443

·
Banned
6,836 Posts
I called them, and talked directly with Mr. Wynn. We talked about the sorts of projects I do, and after talking it over, we opted for the 35A Spun Bond poly filter. The big advantage for me was that the spun bond is the only one that is washable. The nano fiber provides slightly better filtration, but costs more, and it is not washable.
Same thing they told me except. You really don't want to wash the filter unless you have to. Just clean it with air while its installed.

The paper filter east expensive should sat a long time but I didn't trust it.

The Spun Bond filter just a little more is washable as stated and is considered a lifetime filter.

The Nano Fiber highest priced. Will filter slightly better .5 micron vs 1 micron but would have a tendency to clog and is not washable are easily cleaned.

·
Thumb Nailer
2,454 Posts
Same thing they told me except. You really don't want to wash the filter unless you have to. Just clean it with air while its installed.

The paper filter east expensive should sat a long time but I didn't trust it.

The Spun Bond filter just a little more is washable as stated and is considered a lifetime filter.

The Nano Fiber highest priced. Will filter slightly better .5 micron vs 1 micron but would have a tendency to clog and is not washable are easily cleaned.
I get the feeling you have a stutter for some reason...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Anyone knows what's the lifetime and cleaning frequency of these filters? I'm just a weekend woodworker with no expirence with such filters and wonder what I should expect. I plan to buy a 2HP DC and add a nano filter. Will probably run without a cyclone due to limited space. For cleaning whould it be enough to just blow the filter with the exhaust from a vac or is compressed air needed?

·
Registered
72 Posts
How often does the nano filter clog? What is the performance drop and how do you unclog it?
How often the filter builds up dust is going to be function of how well your system is designed. Do you have a Thein baffle / cyclone or other separator? It's going to depend on a bunch of factors.

As for the performance drop and how to clean it, your best option is to call Wynn and speak to them. I was told to just use my shop vac to clean out the inside of the filter when performance seemed to be lower than when new.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I tried to order a filter from Wynn, but the only way to pay is by giving them credit card number and security code. Not sure how it is in US, but here in Norway I'm not allowed to give my security number to anyone. They dont accept paypal. Are there ant other filters close to Wynn compering performance and price?

·
Banned
6,836 Posts
How often does the nano filter clog? What is the performance drop and how do you unclog it?
Well if your not using a thein baffle or cyclone your wasting your money anyway. you want to get the dust out before the filter if possible. I was told by Wynn that the nano fiber would not be the best for woodworking needs. If they are selling me on a less expensive filter I have to think they are trust worthy.

I tried to order a filter from Wynn, but the only way to pay is by giving them credit card number and security code. Not sure how it is in US, but here in Norway I'm not allowed to give my security number to anyone. They dont accept paypal. Are there ant other filters close to Wynn compering performance and price?
I'm not sure what your option are then.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I will use a cyclone, have already buildt one :)
Probably the ugliest in the world, but the shape and the size is good.
I agreed with Wynn to transfer the money to their account. I will go for the Nano filter anyway. I want good filtration and prefer that the filter gets cloged rather than my lungs. The filter can always be replaced, but not my lungs.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Anyone knows what's the lifetime and cleaning frequency of these filters? I'm just a weekend woodworker with no expirence with such filters and wonder what I should expect. I plan to buy a 2HP DC and add a nano filter. Will probably run without a cyclone due to limited space. For cleaning whould it be enough to just blow the filter with the exhaust from a vac or is compressed air needed?
I just odered a Wynn filter for my dust collector and I asked that very question. The answer I got was that when you notice a little slow down in the operation of you DC then just blow it out with your air compressor. How often would depend on how often you use it and the material your using etc.

Mine should be here mid week next. Can hardly wait.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
assuming your DC is, or is similar to, a HF unit, i humbly recommend this, or a similar, modification:

http://lumberjocks.com/topics/40189

i used a frying pan i found, but a flat thien baffle will work, probably a little better. really helps keep the filter clean.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had a 15 minute conversation with the woman who answered the phone at Wynn. She asked me a few questions. Her recommendation was to go with a nano filter as they offer the highest level of filtration. The reason being that my shop is then unfinished half of the basement of our house. The other half is my children's playroom. As I want to keep as much dust out of their lungs as possible, she recommended the nano filter.

I have now been using the Wynn filter on my HFDC for about 6 months. With a Thein baffle and 5" dut I find that the system does a good job of capturing dust and chips when I am working. (I have a thread on here detailing the construction of my system.) Using the HFDC with just the filter bag was not acceptable as I could see dust hanging in the air after using one of my tools. There's no evidence of that when using the DC now.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
assuming your DC is, or is similar to, a HF unit, i humbly recommend this, or a similar, modification:

http://lumberjocks.com/topics/40189

i used a frying pan i found, but a flat thien baffle will work, probably a little better. really helps keep the filter clean.

This is the one I have. Built almost exactly like it.

Without something like this I think your probably not going to accomplish much with the Wynn filters.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had a 15 minute conversation with the woman who answered the phone at Wynn. She asked me a few questions. Her recommendation was to go with a nano filter as they offer the highest level of filtration. The reason being that my shop is then unfinished half of the basement of our house. The other half is my children's playroom. As I want to keep as much dust out of their lungs as possible, she recommended the nano filter.

I have now been using the Wynn filter on my HFDC for about 6 months. With a Thein baffle and 5" dut I find that the system does a good job of capturing dust and chips when I am working. (I have a thread on here detailing the construction of my system.) Using the HFDC with just the filter bag was not acceptable as I could see dust hanging in the air after using one of my tools. There's no evidence of that when using the DC now.
Your Thein looks like mine. My shop is also in the lower level of our home. The conversation you had with the woman sounds like the same one I had with her. I got the same filter you did. Supposed to ship the first of the week.
I also have a HFDC but I ran thin wall PVC only because I did it before reading all the the conversations on here about duct size. I am eventually going to change it to 5". I took a look at your photos and want to ask where you go your fittings. I can get the ducting a Home Depot or Menards. But not the fittings.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts