Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to window shop for a 12"-16" drum sander. I'd take a larger unit for the right price. One reason for smaller size is I'd like to stay with a 110 capable version as I don't see me getting 220 very soon. I've been watching Craigslist for several weeks but haven't found anything yet. My biggest concern is the open ended units. How well do these stay true? Some come with removable supports & others don't.

Also, I'm familiar with Grizzly units (G0459 12" Baby Drum Sander) as I'm close to the Springfield Showroom. I've seen Performax Units listed (http://kansascity.craigslist.org/tls/4008483075.html) but as I said I'm concerned about the open side & staying true.

So, what "quality" drum sanders should I be looking at? Keep in mind I am a garage woodworker that doesn't sell stuff (I'm broke) so cost is an issue.

Is this the type of equipment I should buy new vs used? Would you buy open ended? Based on $$ & quality, which unit would you get.

As always, your comments are appreciated. Thank you.

Mark

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
Mark,
I've been in the same quandary as you for the last year of so, although I do have 220 volts available.

The question that I have asked is, how many times will I use the drum sander? Well in the last 10 years I counted 7 times and three of those would require an 19/38 model.

My decision has been to rent time on a wide belt sander at a local cabinet shop. Most shops that have a wide belt will rent time on certain days, arranged in advance. The one near me last charged $35 per half and a half minimum. I would guess that he is about $50 now. You show up with the piece and money and it is done.

Looking at supermax or grizzly about $1500 said and done.... That's about 30 times I can rent time on the wide belt.

·
7,222 Posts
This seems to be a topic which comes up every few months.

An earlier thread.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/drum-sander-decision-45995/

The CL link is not a bad price. It looks like one of the last models under the Performax label before they switched to Jet. It has the 4in dust port and perhaps bigger motor than mine, which is what the "Plus" means if I recall.

You can keep the drum parallel. Change the spring and nut for some nuts with locking collar.

If you want to read more about the FlatMaster, look at this thread.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/question-about-stockroomsupply-com-diy-drum-sander-48453/index3/

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I'm sure I wouldn't buy a new one, there just seems to be a good used one showing periodically. The Performax is a preferred one, though I would give it a good look over before purchase. I sometimes suggest looking at the Delta (that's what I have) but you need to be careful which models and what to look for...with a Performx available, doesn't seem like you need to consider the Delta model. As for use, the first 10 years I had mine it good used a good deal, maybe the 4 the most used tool in my shop. Now, it gets used a lot less due to some changes to of my other tools and work habits. Be aware, you'll need DC (my opinion) as these things generate mountains of very fine dust....if you don't have one that will add to the cost. As for open ended: I prefer that type, you get the extra capacity. My Delta has been very flat and stayed true, with very little maintenance.

·
where's my table saw?
27,912 Posts
I have the 12" Grizzly

It runs on 120 V and has 1 1/2HP motor. I would like more power than that because I want to take a more aggressive cut, I am impatient, but I can make it work just fine. Dust is an issue with any sander so be prepared. I hook my 1 1/2 Jet directly to the sanders top port.

Since the 12" will handle any board I can joint, it will work for most things I build. However, for wider panels I have 2 options: Down the road a mile or so is a 42" wide belt sander. At the other end of the shop is a 24" dual drum sander. So, It depends on what you want to build whether you need/want the extra width. For the money the Grizzly will save a lot of hand sanding and it does come out very smoooooth. :thumbsup:

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. And I did fi a search and read some threads, but I felt I wanted to ask again. As for dust collection, I have the small Grizzly Cyclone and it works great with everything I have.

I may watch the CL ad I posted and see if that guy lowers it any. I've also been looking in the Grizzly Showroom hoping that a scratched 12"
Version shows up.

·
SS user
2,688 Posts
Mark,
I had a h3lluva time keeping my performax level. The darned thing would always get lower on the open end. It was a really frustrating process as I wasn't after thickness or smooth, just FLAT! a lot of my band saw boxes start out as a laminated block and I really need flat. That Performax just didn't make the grade.
After I sold it, I bought the "V" sander kit from Stockroom supply. Much better.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Mark,
I see drum sanders on Kansas City CL pretty regularly... If you can be patient you can get quite a deal. What is your price range?

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Doomi said:
Mark,
I see drum sanders on Kansas City CL pretty regularly... If you can be patient you can get quite a deal. What is your price range?
Thanks. It partially depends on the unit, but $400 most.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts