Woodworking Talk banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
where's my table saw?
31,739 Posts
You deserve some credit for even posting this, much less as a reminder for all.

Loads do shift. I picked up a pallet maybe 80 pcs of 12 foot 1x6 TG pine on my trailer and didn’t even strap it b/c at the same time both the guy and I said “that’s not going anywhere”.

100 miles down the road at a stop, 2’ of the pallet is hanging off the trailer……….

I always cross strap things now.
I had just purchased about 15 sheets of 1/2" Melanine that were now hanging out the back of my pick up from the wholesaler. un-strapped. I was too young and too dumb to know how slippery Melamine is. I took off from a stop light in my usual brisk manner and thought nothing of it until a trucker in the opposite direction yelled "You lost your load back at the light!" This was in a "poor" part of Detroit, but right at the border city limit, 8 Mile Rd. By the time I got turned around to pick up the sheets, they were all gone! I returned to the wholesaler and told my tale of woe, and they were nice enough to replace the missing sheets. I don't go anyplace without a 50 ft length of strong rope these days.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
You deserve some credit for even posting this, much less as a reminder for all.

Loads do shift. I picked up a pallet maybe 80 pcs of 12 foot 1x6 TG pine on my trailer and didn’t even strap it b/c at the same time both the guy and I said “that’s not going anywhere”.

100 miles down the road at a stop, 2’ of the pallet is hanging off the trailer……….

I always cross strap things now.
My secure game will certainly increase now!!

·
Registered
Termite
8,263 Posts
It's personal property contents...want more pay more.

My daughter sells home/auto insurance. She looked at both policies and said we are covered good, but you can always buy more.

·
Registered
541 Posts
One thing I was always going to get but never have is chains with hooks and chain binders.
I have some pretty stout straps but still...
Years back did some ATVing and have seen some towing mishaps.
Pallets can be shoddily built also don't think I'd want to trust them. PIA without them though.

Had my wood bench top at the sawmill for a sanding and picked it up last weekend.
Son was out in the blowing cold strapping it on the flatbed.
I came out after settling up and being me checked the straps and was glad I did .
One side had slipped out of position but caught again but not in a safe spot.

One thing I've learned in life is to never give up hope.....maybe the woodworking Gods will shine upon you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So apparently auto only covers the liability of the item hit something or caused damage, but unless you have a separate cargo insurance policy the contents are not covered under Physical Damage. However a trailer would be because when being towed it is part of your insurance!

but yes! Trying to salvage will be my best option, I agree!
We had a different experience. Was towing a trailer full of contents to another state after dad died; Minnesota to Arkansas. We have State Farm. Didn't get coverage on the trailer as last I knew, it was covered by the full coverage from the tow vehicle. After accident, agent said trailer wasn't covered. She tried to run contents through homeowner's policy but since we were too far from home area that didn't work.

I cannot understand the contents in a pickup not being covered...unless you ONLY have liability?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
We had a different experience. Was towing a trailer full of contents to another state after dad died; Minnesota to Arkansas. We have State Farm. Didn't get coverage on the trailer as last I knew, it was covered by the full coverage from the tow vehicle. After accident, agent said trailer wasn't covered. She tried to run contents through homeowner's policy but since we were too far from home area that didn't work.

I cannot understand the contents in a pickup not being covered...unless you ONLY have liability?
Full coverage. But no accident or claim to the vehicle per my agent. If the truck Burned or was stolen it would be covered. Per my agent.

·
Smart and Cool
2,648 Posts

Call your insurance company and ask them if they will cover something that falls off of your trailer behind your truck, then you will understand. If it damaged someone's property, then that damage, up to the limits of your liability, would be covered. But not the item that fell off of the trailer.

People grossly misunderstand what "full coverage" is, as it really isn't "full coverage" for anything that happens.

People also under estimate the amount of liability insurance they should have, and what the ramifications are of not having adequate coverage.

·
Registered
245 Posts
That’s heartbreaking, I feel terrible for you.

You can claim that as a business loss on your taxes or as a personal property loss on your individual taxes. I also was going to suggest the loss claim against your credit/bank card. The debit cards cover up to about $300-$500 I think, but credit cards go much higher.

You mentioned that you saw it half off the pallet. If it still had the original strapping or bolts holding it to the pallet, then that really is on someone else, particularly if they failed in transit. If you cut or removed those then it’s on you, but it would be odd for them to separate the tool from the pallet, then sell it to you, then put it back on the pallet without mechanically attaching it. The point is that no matter what or how, if someone else put it on the pallet, and then it shifted during handling or transit, then your strapping was doomed and it’s their fault for failing to adequately secure the item to the pallet.

·
Registered
124 Posts
SO GLAD YOU FOUND YOUR STOLEN PLANER

Seriously, I can visualize your pain and general reaction to what you saw and experienced. I'm so sorry you had to go through that, for several reasons.

I have a bag of about twenty ratcheting straps in my truck. The same for my cargo van. It someone else would use two straps, I'd use five or more. I am full on paranoid about these things. It took me an hour to unstrap my upright five horse compressor, once I got it home. So too it went when I brought home my 8" spiral jointer from five hours away. Even with fifteen straps, I stopped and checked them all about four times.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Not my planer, not my money but still feel a bit sick. I would contact PM and share your story. I wouldn't expect them to replace it but maybe they could help out with discounting some of the replacement parts. Maybe worth a phone call.

I had just finished up a bunch of 10' long Plam tops for a school, loaded them up on the truck. Hit the gas at the stoplight exiting the shop, rope broke and all 8 tops ended up in the middle of a 6 lane road.

·
where's my table saw?
31,739 Posts
There are some relevant issues.
1. Who strapped the unit to the pallet, the dealer or was it from Powermatic's freight shipper? There may be liability issues here.
2. Was the pallet strapped down to the trailer, and by you or others?
3. Whose straps were used? Your's? Were they new, old, frayed? Strap company may be liable?
4. What type of bindings were used on the pallet? steel non-adjustable bands or nylon webs?

5. What were the secondary straps anchored to? Hooks in the floor? Wrapped around the trailer frame? Did any hooks fail?
6. Did the secondary straps slide on the trailer frame and get loose?
7. Did the straps themselves fail or get cut?
8. Was the pallet cleated with blocks to the bed of the trailer as it should have been to prevent it from sliding?
That’s heartbreaking, I feel terrible for you.

You can claim that as a business loss on your taxes or as a personal property loss on your individual taxes. I also was going to suggest the loss claim against your credit/bank card. The debit cards cover up to about $300-$500 I think, but credit cards go much higher.

You mentioned that you saw it half off the pallet. If it still had the original strapping or bolts holding it to the pallet, then that really is on someone else, particularly if they failed in transit. If you cut or removed those then it’s on you, but it would be odd for them to separate the tool from the pallet, then sell it to you, then put it back on the pallet without mechanically attaching it. The point is that no matter what or how, if someone else put it on the pallet, and then it shifted during handling or transit, then your strapping was doomed and it’s their fault for failing to adequately secure the item to the pallet.
These are important questions as to who is responsible. If the dealer failed to properly secure the machine to the pallet OR of it was done at the factory, it is not your fault and you deserve "some compensation". The shipper who transported the machine from the factory "apparently" made it to the dealer without a mishap.
I would at a minimum, seek legal advice, and then look into a small claims court action based on their advice.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have a bag of about twenty ratcheting straps in my truck. The same for my cargo van. It someone else would use two straps, I'd use five or more. I am full on paranoid about these things. It took me an hour to unstrap my upright five horse compressor, once I got it home. So too it went when I brought home my 8" spiral jointer from five hours away. Even with fifteen straps, I stopped and checked them all about four times.
One of my sons worked as a mover for a time. He has the same philosophy as you and I. If you think 2 straps will work then 4 (or more) will work even better. You cannot really ever use too many straps.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts