Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
There are some relevant issues.
1. Who strapped the unit to the pallet, the dealer or was it from Powermatic's freight shipper? There may be liability issues here.
2. Was the pallet strapped down to the trailer, and by you or others?
3. Whose straps were used? Your's? Were they new, old, frayed? Strap company may be liable?
4. What type of bindings were used on the pallet? steel non-adjustable bands or nylon webs?
5. What were the secondary straps anchored to? Hooks in the floor? Wrapper around the trailer frame? Did any hooks fail?
6. Did the secondary straps slide on the trailer frame and get loose?
7. Did the straps themselves fail or get cut?
8. Was the pallet cleated with blocks to the bed of the trailer as it should have been to prevent it from sliding?

If enough "violations" of Murphy's Law were in play, the result will be what happened.
Years of experience moving heavy equipment has made me very cautious these days.
For example, I have 200 lbs of steel beam at the rear of my unloaded pick up box in the winter. That's because weight transfers to the from wheels under braking and lifts the rear wheel off slightly, so they lose traction. All the weight of the engine is on the front wheels, very little on the rear is on the rear. Slick roads in the winter make the situation worse.
I also avoid left turns immediately after a traffic light! Why? Because drivers are looking at the light, not your taillights when you are stopped for the turn, they only see "green". I got rear ended by a teen in an unloaded pickup doing this many years ago. He couldn't stop in time for both reasons. 1969 Olds Vista Cruiser, beautiful car!
My buddy's son works in auto insurance. He says the most lawsuits in that industry are from customers suing their own insurance companies.
It that true? I donno?
I don't think anyone else has a liability here. If there is an issue of liability, then discussing this issue on a public forum is not a wise idea.

@B&BCabinets

I am assuming you came to commiserate. I feel you! It is a sickening feeling as you see something sliding off your truck or trailer. It's never happened to me with something this heavy, but it has happened to me, and I understand it a little.

Once you brush yourself off, there is good advice on breaking down some parts and trying a to repair it. Powermatic certainly wants you to be happy with their products, and I expect they will do their best to make sure you get the best value out of your purchase whatever that means.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Oh no, I have absolutely assumed full liability (and stupidity)!! There is not a question of liability.

I posted only to vent my frustration/broken heart and to let it be a warning to fellow saw dust makers to always double check everything. Live and learn my friend, live and learn.
I had meant to delete that first part. I got the posters confused at first. The liability comments were more relating to woodnthings 's post.

Reactions: B&BCabinets
1 - 2 of 2 Posts