Woodworking Talk banner

Workshop Heat

13K views 53 replies 18 participants last post by  Joe Lyddon 
#1 ·
I know a lot of you guys are up north and have to deal with bitter cold temperatures. Here in Texas we only have a few weeks or maybe a month of cold weather. So during this time I would like to put some heat in my shop.
What do you guys use for an economical, safe heat?

Discussion starter · #4 ·
Yea, I did that in my work trailer with four halogen lights mounted on the walls, but my workshop is 900 sq.ft. so I need something that puts out some serious heat.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
Take a "0" off of that and that's what I got!!!:laughing:

The shop was one of the conditions when my wife and I had our new house built three years ago. I was tired of trying to work out of a
10 X 12 80yr old shop that was also used for storage.
We built it as a family project about 100 ft away from the house.:thumbsup:

Discussion starter · #9 ·
I have a little Propane Powered Torpedo heater........ But I still need to get the roof of the Garage / Shop Insulated....... the walls are...

I've used about 1/2 a bottle so far... over 2 to 3 days (any glue ups go in the house...........
That is why I need to heat the shop, wife won't let me bring glue ups in the house. She says thats why I a shop.:no:

Discussion starter · #10 ·
Wood stove. I burn hardwood sawmill scrap. I also throw my boo-boos in there...some days I can heat my shop with just screw ups :laughing:.

Daren

I have one of those wood stoves like I saw in one of your pics that I purchased at an auction. Is it possible to vent it without paying a buttload for the double walled vent pipe?

Discussion starter · #14 ·
Well your right about the insurance, I guess I will have to look at some of those radients heaters to mount on the walls.
Boy those insurance guys just ain't no fun.

Discussion starter · #17 ·
Discussion starter · #18 ·
Woodman,

I have a 12' x 16' shop with insulated walls and an uninsulated 10' barb style roof. I purchased two 5100BTU electric thermal heaters that mount on the ceiling with brackets. They really kick some serious heat and don't do any noticable damage to my electric bill. They are very safe too since there is no flame. I get a bit nervous in a dusty woodshop when there is an open flame.:eek:

If you want information on these let me know and I will post it when I get home.:thumbsup:

Thanks Ken. Electric looks like the way I'm gonna have to go.:yes:

Discussion starter · #40 · (Edited)
hi 42, this is 51jfk, just up the road in Kempner...........we have been in a 3000 sq ft insulated metal building & two propane torpedos would take of the chill after running for an hour or so every morning. Now we're in an uninsulated steel building with a separate finishing room......the finish room gets a small propane heater & the main shop gets a kerosene salamander. Glues stains & finished live in an insulated closet, where we leave a 100w incandescent safety bulb burning on really cold night.....like tonight is turning out to be.........80 yesterday & now it's 34.......sheesh
:thumbsup: Howdy neighbor. Been to Kempner before. I grew up in Harker Heights. Yes the weather is one thing we can't count on here, thats why I,m looking for a economical heat source for my shop. Its wood frame an has about 500 sq ft of work space, my office is 100 sq ft and has a thru the wall air conditioner with a heater. I am considering a propane heater because we don't have natural gas available out here in the sticks.

Discussion starter · #41 ·
:thumbsup: Howdy neighbor. Been to Kempner before. I grew up in Harker Heights. Yes the weather is one thing we can't count on here, thats why I,m looking for a economical heat source for my shop. Its wood frame an has about 500 sq ft of work space, my office is 100 sq ft and has a thru the wall air conditioner with a heater. I am considering a propane heater because we don't have natural gas available out here in the sticks.
Technology Electronic device

Here is the one I am considering. Opinions?

Discussion starter · #43 ·
Here's the link to a web page I found - Quote:"The heater shop - BTU Calculator makes it easy to calculate the size of heater needed. All heating requirements can be solved by mathematics when you know the various parameters. The watts to BTU converter is also on this page". http://www.heatershop.com/btu_calculator.htm

And here's link to a calculator from the Pellet Fuels Institute for Comparing Fuel Costs. http://www.pelletheat.org/3/residential/compareFuel.cfm

As I stated earlier, my shop is a well insulated 24'x28' garage/shop. According to the calculator I need 15,040 BTU (4406 Watts) for a 20 degree rise in temperature. My electric heater is 4000 - little under sized for those real cold mornings! I have a variety of supplemental heaters; propane, Kerosene, and 1500W electric to do the job.

There was a time when Kerosene was an economical choice for heat, but that doesn't seem the case now. $4.57/gallon where I live.

Hope this help!

-Don
:eek: Wow. My shop needs 55800 BTU's. Cool link Don thank you.
I think the heater I pictured above should do the job.
I wanted to use the wood stove that I already have, but most don't think its a good idea in a woodshop with all the dust and all.
I wonder if it would really be that bad since we don't really use heat that much here. Yea its a risk but heck look at the risk we take everyday in our shops. Just a thought.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.