Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of you guys are up north and have to deal with bitter cold temperatures. Here in Texas we only have a few weeks or maybe a month of cold weather. So during this time I would like to put some heat in my shop.
What do you guys use for an economical, safe heat?

·
Registered
803 Posts
In my dinky little space I set up two halogen work space lights on a tripod. Boy Howdy do those things throw off heat!!!!:yes:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, I did that in my work trailer with four halogen lights mounted on the walls, but my workshop is 900 sq.ft. so I need something that puts out some serious heat.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I have a little Propane Powered Torpedo heater........ But I still need to get the roof of the Garage / Shop Insulated....... the walls are...

I've used about 1/2 a bottle so far... over 2 to 3 days (any glue ups go in the house...........

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Take a "0" off of that and that's what I got!!!:laughing:

The shop was one of the conditions when my wife and I had our new house built three years ago. I was tired of trying to work out of a
10 X 12 80yr old shop that was also used for storage.
We built it as a family project about 100 ft away from the house.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Wood stove. I burn hardwood sawmill scrap. I also throw my boo-boos in there...some days I can heat my shop with just screw ups :laughing:.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a little Propane Powered Torpedo heater........ But I still need to get the roof of the Garage / Shop Insulated....... the walls are...

I've used about 1/2 a bottle so far... over 2 to 3 days (any glue ups go in the house...........
That is why I need to heat the shop, wife won't let me bring glue ups in the house. She says thats why I a shop.:no:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wood stove. I burn hardwood sawmill scrap. I also throw my boo-boos in there...some days I can heat my shop with just screw ups :laughing:.

Daren

I have one of those wood stoves like I saw in one of your pics that I purchased at an auction. Is it possible to vent it without paying a buttload for the double walled vent pipe?

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Is it possible to vent it without paying a buttload for the double walled vent pipe?
No :furious:. I paid as much for the pipe as I did the stove :eek:. But I don't worry about fire now, gotta have the good pipe. I like heating with wood. I can keep that shop 75 during the coldest days. But the glues and stuff are in the basement during the winter, I have to drag them in and out. My stove is small (not enough room for anything else) and won't hold a fire all night. It is cool out there in the morning. I too have a torpedo heater. I kick it on for a few minutes while I stoke a fire, then heat with wood the rest of the day. A small (grill size) bottle of propane lasts all winter. I have more wood than I can burn, I give it away and just keep enough to get me through each winter.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Hi Woodman

For occasional use I would definitely go with Daren on the woodstove. I also love heating with wood. It makes the place smell good, and you use up all your scraps. Make sure your dust collection is good, or you risk an exolsion/fire. One word of caution: Before you go and make a big investment into a wood stove, and the necessary piping ask your insurance company what their position is on coverage for your shop with wood heat in place. I wanted to put wood heat in my shop, but the insurance company was completely thumbs down on the whole idea. They won't even discuss an external wood heat source. So, that leaves me using electric heaters for a small area of my shop, and no heat in the rest.[The cost would simply be prohibitive] My heating season is about six months long. If your insurance company goes thumbs down on the wood heat then I would suggest a 220 volt electric heater with thermost control and fans. As you are probably only going to need it for a few weeks each year the cost for operation won't be too bad, and if you have the 220 volt in place the installation shouldn't be too bad either.

Let us know what your carrier's reaction is. I am looking around to see if I can find one that is a little more reasonable.

Good Luck

Gerry

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well your right about the insurance, I guess I will have to look at some of those radients heaters to mount on the walls.
Boy those insurance guys just ain't no fun.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Woodman,

I have a 12' x 16' shop with insulated walls and an uninsulated 10' barb style roof. I purchased two 5100BTU electric thermal heaters that mount on the ceiling with brackets. They really kick some serious heat and don't do any noticable damage to my electric bill. They are very safe too since there is no flame. I get a bit nervous in a dusty woodshop when there is an open flame.:eek:

If you want information on these let me know and I will post it when I get home.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Woodman,

I have a 12' x 16' shop with insulated walls and an uninsulated 10' barb style roof. I purchased two 5100BTU electric thermal heaters that mount on the ceiling with brackets. They really kick some serious heat and don't do any noticable damage to my electric bill. They are very safe too since there is no flame. I get a bit nervous in a dusty woodshop when there is an open flame.:eek:

If you want information on these let me know and I will post it when I get home.:thumbsup:

Thanks Ken. Electric looks like the way I'm gonna have to go.:yes:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Electric rates are to dam expensive here on L.I. I prefer to use the portable kero heaters with a thermostat. I have absolutly no wall space for anything else so it works well for me.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts