Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to build a dust hood for an overhead collection on my tablesaw . I am useing 3/16 lexan and have a few questions
I am wondering if anyone has ever run the edge over a jointer. I am looking to get a real smooth edge for gluing the side pieces on
Can you cut it with a 40 tooth blade on a tablesaw
i plan on using Methene chloride to weld the piece together

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yes, running it through the jointer is pretty standard. You can also use a scraper for deburring. As for cutting with a saw, you will get best results if you can reduce the blade speed to reduce melting. A variable-speed track saw is the best method for cutting. Here's a picture I took a few years ago for the instruction manual of a track saw. The blade speed was low, and the cut was shallow. (Note: I do not recommend setting a tablesaw blade this low, as it is high risk for a kickback.)

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
Watch your speed when cutting it. It's easy to melt the cut, I know from experience and I was only use a jigsaw.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Methene Chloride does not exist. has something to do with carbon atoms. Anyway, can you post the correct product name?

You might mean Methylene Chloride
Methylene Chloride is also used as a paint stripper. Probably a different concentration.

Also be careful in handling. It is some pretty nasty stuff It is heavier than air so keep it below you and you dont want to get any in your eyes. Also set up a small fan and have it upwind from you. That will blow the vapors and fumes away from you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I found it at a place called Plasitcs PLus in Edmonton. Brand name is Weldon. Weldon3 is the real thin stuff that uses an applicator bottle and Weldon 16 is a thicker one. I bought all 3 just in case. it will take a bit to get it here. I will post results
thanks all

1 - 7 of 7 Posts