Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm looking at building some garge/barn style doors (similar to the ones pictured), we've just milled a load of green oak with a woodmizer that we hired in for the day, but im unsure how much seasoning the oak will need before it can be worked.
I'm happy with a more rustic look to the doors (a few cracks and gaps) as long as they hold together over time.

Any thoughts

Thanks
Simon

·
Registered
298 Posts
We let ours season 2 yrs before using any hardwood. If its outdoor use, you can get by with a year. With hardwood, you have to do a good job stickering it and keeping it out of the elements or it will warp and go bad.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Immediately stack and sticker it in an outdoor space where that is some air movement. You can move it inside after 2-3 months. Re-stack and sticker it inside for 4 to 6 months.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for th replys,

So if I leave it drying in a covered shed, then I'm looking at about a year (its for outside use, so it sounds like this reduces the drying requirements).

One other thing. I've milled quite a few planks that are about 45cm wide, these ultimatly want to be about 15cm planks. Is it better to cut these down now or when its seasoned. My thinking is that the larger planks will warp and split more than smaller ones as it seasons?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They were cut up with a woodmizer which seems to have done a pretty good job, they are all a uniform thickness and straight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts