Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Next project is to make a sturdy outdoor box for pool toys. I found a good set of plans that call for fir wood. I'd like to use cedar and finish it with outdoor stain.

I read that cedar reacts to changes in weather more than some wood and use of wood screws is iffy. So main question is as long as the parts that are screwed are also glued, am I ok with cedar?

·
Registered
26,891 Posts
Hi everyone,

Next project is to make a sturdy outdoor box for pool toys. I found a good set of plans that call for fir wood. I'd like to use cedar and finish it with outdoor stain.

I read that cedar reacts to changes in weather more than some wood and use of wood screws is iffy. So main question is as long as the parts that are screwed are also glued, am I ok with cedar?
I don't do a great deal of work with western cedar but the experiences I've had is it is more stable than a lot of other woods with the exception of redwood. I would avoid using glue if you can and construct the box to allow for wood movement. It still needs to breath with the water and sun.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I've been carving western red cedar for 15(?) years.
Unfinished, totem poles, story poles and mortuary poles last more than a century on Haida Gwaii.
Haida Gwaii is seriously rainy west coast.
Predrill the screw holes to avoid splitting and don't over tighten them. Really snug is just fine.
Forget the glue. I like to use pegs but outdoors, even cedar pegs, they are the first thing to go.
Indoor things, like carved umbrella stands, birch pegs look nice.
Cedar is nicely colored, I would think a stain to make it look like something it is not would be an added expense.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the great tips. I'll try to use no glue. And thanks Scott very much for the toxicity report. As for the stain, wife wants it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Plans call for panels - about 8 per side, less on the ends - Inserted in grooves in top and bottom rails. Think I can NOT glue them up and just have them float? The legs are substantial. Mortise/tenon joinery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts