Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The folks have decided to replace an old barn, so I jumped at the chance to get a bunch of free wood to work with. I am not one that gets all that excited about the rustic gray barn-wood thing, I prefer furniture that looks a little more finished. At the same time material is expensive and I thought this was a great opportunity to practice my skills at low cost.

I made some little decorative things, wall hangings, picture frames etc. The wood is warped and checked, and doesn't react well to power tools, so I thought furniture was not an option. I put together a table top just to work on my hand tool skills, I was pretty sure I was making firewood, but it didn't turn out that way.

So I am now building a set of tables to display in the local furniture store. I have figured out which surfaces need to be level and square to assemble the pieces, but I am having some difficulty making the initial cuts on the table saw. Each piece is warped and twisted a different direction so I do not think I can build a jig that will work with more than one or two of the pieces. Currently I am taking a little material off at a time and it takes about 4 passes to get a surface that is ready for joining. Any suggestions you have would be appreciated.

I have an album set up with pictures, I will attach it as soon as I figure out how.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/members/dodger52-43928/albums/barn-project/

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
That's a gold mine in my standards.
Not easy to come by. I like the look of old timber.
But I'm all about rustic, so

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a gold mine in my standards.
Not easy to come by. I like the look of old timber.
But I'm all about rustic, so
I like how the first table worked out, I guess what I don't like is what is being passed off as rustic. The rough stock is fun to work with. There is a sharp learning curve working with the older wood. Any tips would be appreciated. I am struggling with getting the edges that need to be square cut, without removing the character of the wood.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts