Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not able to go out and buy berch plywood or sandwich nice boards together, but what i do have are a couple sheets of 5/8 plywood will one work or should i glue both together for more durability for the top. thanks guys for all the advise, just really want this to last.

·
7,222 Posts
If you have enough for two pieces of the 5/8in ply, I would use two layers.

You did not state the maximum span of the top but with 1 1/4in total, this should not be a problem.

You could screw the bottom layer to the bench and the top layer as a "wear layer" to the bottom layer.

It is impractical to predict how you will use the top over time, what loads will be applied, etc.

Personally, I cannot recall a time when I regretted over-designing something, but I do recall regretting when I under-designed...... :thumbdown:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im sorry the top is gonna be 66"x42", i am still in the framing stages, for the top frame, it is going to be made out of 2x4s (the four sides and 3 in the center running side to side. I am thinking about doing some dogs in the top, so for support im thinking might lay some 2x4s flush under the top for support. not sure..:blink:

·
Registered
27 Posts
You might not like the look, but I've always built my workbenches out of 2x stock. 2x4's for the frame and 2x6's for the top. You can beat it for its strength. I do a multidude of things off my work bench and sometimes I need it to not move even under heavy hammer blows.

·
Registered
269 Posts
WLH1027 said:
You might not like the look, but I've always built my workbenches out of 2x stock. 2x4's for the frame and 2x6's for the top. You can beat it for its strength. I do a multidude of things off my work bench and sometimes I need it to not move even under heavy hammer blows.
What's so wrong with the look of a 2xX top?
Wood Hardwood Yellow Wood flooring Floor
Furniture Workbench Table Wood Hardwood
Might be a little softer than maple/ash/beech/etc, but you can't beat the price of a bunch of 2x4s

·
Registered
236 Posts
I used a 3/4" MDF top and 3/4" ply bottom, with solid wood door core in between. The MDF top has T-track sunk for clamping and screwed to wood core door for easy replacement. Top ios finished with one coat of Danish Oil, do not sand MDF prior to finish. Frame is 2x4 construction.

·
Registered
27,554 Posts
If you have sufficient framing under the top a single 5/8" sheet would make a fine top for general use. Gluing two sheets together will be all the better. I had a 4'x8' work bench for years with a single 3/4" birch plywood top. I only changed it with a top made from 2x12's because I plan to use it for a veneer press also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts