Woodworking Talk banner

41 - 60 of 110 Posts

·
Chairman of the 'Board
285 Posts
Rod is going to be attached to the chop. I'll drill probably a 2" deep hole in the chop, and epoxy the rod in place. Probably need to scuff up the end of the rod so the epoxy will hold better.
I would drill a hole across the end of the rod as well as corresponding holes in the wood. Then tap in a roll pin from either side to capture the rod within the wood.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Well, I made a quick jig for cutting the tenons today. Just a simple T-square. Figured this would give me actually square shoulders rather than if I were to cut them by hand.

Got a total of 6 stretchers done.

Also did the lower mortises on the 2 front legs today. First ever M&T joints. Not perfect, but they are a sliding fit and the shoulder covers up any nastiness so it works out. These will eventually get drawbored.

I gotta say, having a bench to build this bench with would make it so much easier. Instead I have to clamp everything to my tablesaw.

·
Banned
615 Posts
I'm guessing you're using a router for your tenons?

First ones huh? Aren't they kind of fun? It's looking great so far. Just make sure your mortises aren't too nasty. You want the wood glue to have something to bite. If it's too out of whack you may want to use epoxy.

If jigs and tools were chairs and stools, we'd always have a place to sit.
~Stumpy Nubs

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
I used the router for the larger side. The smaller shoulders I did with a crappy craftsman dovetail saw. It's actually a decent sliding fit on most of them. Takes a few taps with the mallet to get them seated. And they will be drawbored so there won't be an issue with the glue. The bottom mortise looks ugly because it hasn't been chopped out yet. That was just after drilling it out with a 1/2" drill bit.

I should get the rest of the mortises chopped out tomorrow, and with any luck the bench will be standing tomorrow as well. Won't be ready to be worked on, but at least I can get it standing. Then take it back apart to work on the vises. I have to modify my wagon vise design a bit as the screws are a bit different than I had originally planned on.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Up early today and I got the majority of the frame dry fit together. I still have to add the upper stretchers, but I can't do that until I tenon the top of the legs. Now it's time to go kayaking for a bit.

·
where's my table saw?
28,898 Posts
Up early today and I got the majority of the frame dry fit together. I still have to add the upper stretchers, but I can't do that until I tenon the top of the legs. Now it's time to go kayaking for a bit.

Huh? Why don't you just mortise the tops of the legs like you did on the bottom? OR are you going to mortise the legs into the bottom of the top? :blink:

A dado/groove in the tops of the legs would allow the aprons/stretchers to be flush with the tops. Table saw, dado blade, depth stop on the fence, run 'em in, flip 'em over, chisel out the waste until square, BAM you're done. OR is this a hand tool only project?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Huh? Why don't you just mortise the tops of the legs like you did on the bottom? OR are you going to mortise the legs into the bottom of the top? :blink:

A dado/groove in the tops of the legs would allow the aprons/stretchers to be flush with the tops. Table saw, dado blade, depth stop on the fence, run 'em in, flip 'em over, chisel out the waste until square, BAM you're done. OR is this a hand tool only project?
I think the tenon on the top of the leg will go into a mortise in the bottom of the bench top (table).

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
cps said:
I think the tenon on the top of the leg will go into a mortise in the bottom of the bench top (table).
This. Maybe I might not be using the proper terminology, but basically this.

·
Banned
615 Posts
Think it's starting to look like a nice bench!

~Stumpy Nubs

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Wasn't able to get much done today or yesterday due to work, but I did manage to square up one side of each top half.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Nice looking bench. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Crusader said:
Dang it! Don't you just hate it when your saw runs out of battery, seems to always happen half way thru the cut. :laughing:
When it comes to cordless you can never have too many bats!

Reactions: NetDoc

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Dang it! Don't you just hate it when your saw runs out of battery, seems to always happen half way thru the cut. :laughing:
Hey it was hot yesterday (for Seattle). I wasn't used to the heat and had to take a break.

Sadly, yet another day of having to stay late at work, which made me get caught in traffic and over doubled my commute time home. Probably won't get much done tonight.

·
Banned
615 Posts
Hey it was hot yesterday (for Seattle). I wasn't used to the heat and had to take a break.

Sadly, yet another day of having to stay late at work, which made me get caught in traffic and over doubled my commute time home. Probably won't get much done tonight.
I was just up there with my family for a wedding. The weather was great four the four days, but you're not kidding about that traffic! I don't think I could do that daily.

~Stumpy Nubs

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I normally work 7-4. Traffic isn't terrible then. If I have to stay late, like today, and leave at 5:30, then traffic is a solid 12 miles of stop and go for me. I-5 is worse, but I luckily don't have to take that or I-90. Luckily, I go the opposite direction of most traffic.

41 - 60 of 110 Posts