Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What wood are you using for your drawers? The local lumberyard wants $100 for a half-inch sheet of cabinet grade plywood. Yet the three-quarter inch plywood is about $60

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
What wood are you using for your drawers? The local lumberyard wants $100 for a half-inch sheet of cabinet grade plywood. Yet the three-quarter inch plywood is about $60
Nothing wrong with ¾" plywood, if it's less than ½". See if you can find ½" Virola plywood. It should be fairly inexpensive. It should be available in ¼" also.

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
You don't really need a cabinet makers grade for shop drawers, do you? I use 3/4 for my face and sides and 1/2 cheapo sand ply for my bottoms.

·
Registered
12,931 Posts
Work shop drawers? If I want to make drawers for the shop I can usually find something lying around that will work. I certainly would not spend $100, or even $50 for that purpose. Would not matter if it was plywood or solid wood.

George

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
For mine, I used 1/2" B/C ply and 1/4" lauan for the bottoms. I used rabbit/dado joinery. They ain't pretty, but they are very solid.

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
i have also used that 1/2" poplar at home depot. they had a sale on it last year and i bought a bunch of it.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I just got done building a shop cabinet and used 1/2" ply from the big box store for the drawer cases (also using rabbit and dado joinery) and 1/4" ply for the bottom. Very sturdy once all glued together.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I grabbed a couple of pics of the drawers under my workbench. White pine and plywood make up the main drawers. The drawer on wheels under the workbench is made up of whatever I could find in the shop. Some of it is 1/2 inch and some is 3/4 inch.

For the main drawers, I used simple rabbited joints with false fronts. The should last a long time.

Last summer when I started my garage makeover, I dismantled my old workbench of 25+ years. The drawers were 3/4 inch plywood boxes with simple butt joints that were glued and nailed with finishing nails. I had to beat them apart with a 4# sledge hammer. And they had been holding a lot of heavy stuff for all of those many years. I have since reused most of the wood for other projects.

Good luck.
Mike

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts