Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think that I just struck gold as far as picking up some wood for turning.
A friend of mine asked me to take down a hickory tree that he and his wife no longer wanted. Seems it was blocking the view on their waterfront property.
When I got to his house he took me over to the tree. I noticed that ther were hickory nuts all over the place....WooHoo.

I took the tree down without any problems. Not knowing whay I was doing, I cut the tree up in manageable lenghts. The butt of the tree grew into 2 forks. The diameter of each fork is about 15 inches. The lenghts that I cut vary. Some 10" long, some 14" long and some 18 to 20 inches long.

Now, if I could lean on you people for some advise. What should I do now to keep them from splitting??? I must have about 80 pieces.

Information that you might need;
Very very new to woodturning.
Jet 1642 lathe (being delivered in about a week)
I live in the Daytona Beach, FL. area so I get plenty of sun and heat.

Thank you for any help
Dick

·
7,222 Posts
Search the forum for e.g., "green wood" or "sealing wood". This is a common topic.

One example.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f6/turning-green-wood-52581/

The sealing will prevent the wood from losing moisture until you are ready to turn.

You will still be turning "green" wood since it will ideally still have the moisture.

Seal it ASAP.

You then turn it to rough shape thick walls then put it away to dry. It will change shape.

You then weigh the piece, take a note of the weight each week. It is dry once it stops losing weight aka moisture.

Then you turn to final dimensions and shape.

·
Registered
763 Posts
It's hard for me to keep that much wood in good shape long enough to get it all turned. If I were you I'd spend some more time with the chainsaw making two parallel ripping cuts on each piece, one on either side of the pith. That along with end sealing will help reduce major cracking for awhile. Of course, you should get it out of the sun and wind.
You might consider sharing it with a local club since you have so much. You might get some good help that way too.

·
Half a bubble off.. {Θ¿Θ}
548 Posts
You might consider sharing it with a local club since you have so much. You might get some good help that way too.
^^^
THIS:thumbsup:

Look around for a local turning club. You have tons of stock to exchange for tons on knowledge. I'm sure there's a bunch of wood turners in an area as populated as Daytona Beach.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Videos

You guys have given me some great videos to look at. I'm really enjoying them.

Your idea for sharing some of my hickoy is a very good idea and I don't have a problem with that at all. I'd love to make a connection with a fellow turner and give him some hickory. My problem is, I've searched the internet for woodturners in the Daytona Beach, New Smyrna Beach and Port Orange area and I can't find anybody. The closest connection that I would have in this area would be the "Woodcraft store" located in Orlando. Thats almost 60 miles away.
It would be great if somebody from my immediate area would be part of this forum and by chance read this.

Once again, thank you for the links and your ideas.
Dick

·
7,222 Posts
Your idea for sharing some of my hickoy is a very good idea and I don't have a problem with that at all. I'd love to make a connection with a fellow turner and give him some hickory. My problem is, I've searched the internet for woodturners in the Daytona Beach, New Smyrna Beach and Port Orange area and I can't find anybody. The closest connection that I would have in this area would be the "Woodcraft store" located in Orlando. Thats almost 60 miles away.
It would be great if somebody from my immediate area would be part of this forum and by chance read this.
Glad you are enjoying the links and videos. There is a huge amount of useful stuff around.

I hope some members local to you come forward.

As a clutching-at-straws step, you could see if any members are in this thread from the Community section. The members have to put their pin on the map. Likely few do.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f15/map-member-search-21089/

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Another source you might use: The AAW--most clubs belong or are chapters thereof. Should be able to search the web that way.
Heck, I found the club I joined by just a simple net search.
Dave H

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello again,
I have tried the AAW and that is where I found Orlando to be the closest.
Dave, thanks again for taking the time to try and help. I looked at the map that you provided via your link.
I guess it's too hot to turn wood in Florida. I didn't find "one" pin (or balloon) in Florida.

Dick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts