Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Now, that is going to be a BUILD! I have an RV, but I always wanted just the hull of one and I would do all the inside work. This is going to be a good build project to watch! OK, I just noticed the pics you have. Thanks.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Baltic Birch Plywood...which is what this is made out of..from 1/8'' to 3/8''....can't say enough about the quality....
Like I have said on boat building forums I have had an unfinished test pc. outside nailed to a fence post for years and it still has no delamination...

And I just recently built a 17' kayak using 1/8''.. Ausume plywood to work with...

·
Senior Something
1,127 Posts
Looks good. I'd like to see the finished camper (when done). Why is the A/C on rollers? And what is the 'drop floor' all about? Could use some description (here, WWT) and maybe a few less close-up photos. I'm considering doing a removeable top to my 5x8 trailer for using as a camper. I was thinking about using a Al camper shell. But maybe a wood shell would be easier to customize.

·
Super Moderator
Ole Nail Whooper
5,608 Posts
A few years back I built a Teardrop camper, it was fun but it took 384 hours to build. What kind of skin are you going to put on yours? I used aluminum, turned out pretty good. Enjoy your build.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Interesting build, keep the progress pictures coming, enjoying such.

Several years ago Bride and I gutted a 1991 38' Barth motor coach. New the coach was over $275,000.00. In 2001 we purchased it for 42K. It was a diesel pusher, CAT powered, wonderful shape, but needed an interior remake. It was pink of sorts inside. Se we know the fun of doing this, so looking forward to more info/pictures.

Maybe I can talk Steve into posting a couple pictures of our remake effort.

Enjoy your build,

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
205 Posts
What a great project! Many folks think that older style campers like the one you are building originated after WWII because people had more money and free time. Camper trailers had a boom after WWII but most designs originated during the Great Depression.

Many folks lost their homes and had to move from place to place for work. The most economical way to go was a camper. Some were the pull behind style, what is now referred to as a travel trailer. Others were built onto the backs of trucks. Almost all of them were homemade.

I really like the design where the kitchen is in back. I have wanted to build a small pull behind, smaller than the one you are building, for several years now. I lack the garage to commit to such a project.

I have a complete design drawn out loosely based on this idea:
http://www.mikenchell.com/weekender/index.html
It is small enough to be pulled by a small car.

Someday when I have a large garage I hope to build my design. I am looking forward to seeing your continued progress.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK since I started this project,I got the second set of cabinets out of the shop wed....The roof skin is on and time to move it back to the house garage to commence a 3rd set of cabinets, (which consist of kitchen-vanity's-and wet bar)....
Any how photo time...

Back in the garage..the refg. fits...

Well look what is hanging around awaiting a roof rack...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.