Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
HALL OF FAMER
8,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may already know, I have a youtube channel that focuses on woodworking videos. I post a weekly video that has to do with some kind of woodworking.
The problem is, that I'm always trying to think of ideas for new videos but my imagination will only go so far. I do have some ideas jotted down and I pick from that list when I am deciding what to film.
My question is this...........is there any video idea that you, as a fellow woodworker, would like to see filmed and posted in the future?
I'm looking for suggestions. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
147 Posts
I am currently subscribed to your channel and enjoy it. I always enjoy build videos and think one of your picture frame tutorial would be nice, just to see it in action. Maybe some scroll saw work? (Although I think you may already have some) But by far I love videos of just tips and tricks for the shop, like your last rust video.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
One of the biggest things I find helpful is learning' other peoples tricks and simple jigs they use. May look around your shop and see which jigs, shortcuts, and other helpful little tricks you've used and share some of those over time. It might be a way that you support something to make a cut, etc.

Just a thought anyway.

Mark

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I've tried to find your videos Ken but searching "Kenbo" is getting me nowhere.

What search keyword should I be using?

·
Registered
274 Posts
How about finishes . Pre treatment, stains and dyes liquid or powder .
Spray , wipe on and. Brush on
Maybe different brands from local pick up to mail order options .

·
Registered
401 Posts
Kenbo said:
My youtube channel link is posted in my signature at the bottom of all my posts.
Ok, I'm gonna' stick my neck out here.... I've looked at your posts and cannot find the link, or a signature.....
Very interested in watching these.....

·
HALL OF FAMER
8,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
274 Posts
Here one I love to see.
How to fix oops, did I just do that !!! How do I fix this ? Cuss words
You got do something like this . Maybe some common mistake .
I know everyone been there .
I got a million ideals

·
Registered
274 Posts
Short videos
How to make perfect miter cuts .
How clamp project together . All different process . From too much pressure cause Ex problems .
How to fix wrap broads
Different glues for what project

·
SS user
2,689 Posts
Like Oakwerks, I'd be interested in coping also.
Do you do any Boule work? That would be interesting, too.

·
Registered
274 Posts
How about starting a project that everyone can follow.
Like a basic jewelry box with the basic woodworking tools?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Many videos show how to perform an operation.... For instance, glueing up a box, or frame.... But never show how to fix imperfections...
Norm always checked his work, and it was always ok....but never said what to do if it isn't....
How about some videos on fixing "oops".....

·
Cowboy up and do just it
535 Posts
How about getting with another WWT friend and work on one type of project or skill and editing the two videos together into one video. At times, what one person would choose to say the other just didn't think of at the time of recording. Or, each person could tackle a different method to the same task, e.g. sharpening hand saws. A viewer can have the extra information on a task that could be helpful. We can also see another WWT friend.

The two of you don't need to be together to do this. Have the other person film themselves and send it to you for the final editing.

Now to the subjects I would like to see. How about the techniques of inlay without the use of special tools or attachments. I don't want to just see someone do it but teach how to do it with a few pointer how to avoid common mistakes.

I would also like to see building shop hand tools explained in easy to understand and duplicative instructions.

How about something simple like information regarding the difference between dado blades and box joint blades or the advantages and disadvantages of different types of dado blades and the many different ways of making a dado with its + & -?

Okay I could come up with more but I'm going to stop.

Thanks for all the other information you have put on WWT.

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum

·
Cowboy up and do just it
535 Posts
Many videos show how to perform an operation.... For instance, glueing up a box, or frame.... But never show how to fix imperfections...
Norm always checked his work, and it was always ok....but never said what to do if it isn't....
How about some videos on fixing "oops".....
I agree 100% :yes:

I like watching Tommy Mac from Rough Cut. Well, there are a lot of guys I like watching; however, Tommy Mac has true personality on film while teaching, not just "how" but "why" with possible mistakes to look out for. :thumbsup:

I started making hand cut dovetails back in the 8th grade. The instruction was basic and, even though I made the dovetails and they worked great, they were not the most attractive. I've improved since then but I'm still not a master at hand cut dovetails. I don't know if I will ever be great. :no:

Regardless, back on track, Tommy's videos are fantastic in teaching how to make handcut dovetails. He makes a few mistakes and has to fix them. He also talks about common mistakes people make and tips to prevent from making that mistake. A lot of woodworking intails learning through hands on experience, learning as we make mistakes method. Tommy's set of videos truly helps speed up the learning curve, explaning many of the pitfalls and repare options. Look at episodes 6-11. :yes:

http://www.thomasjmacdonald.com/media/video.php?vid=24256cb11

Eventhough I've seen many videos on hand cut dovetails, I learned a couple of things I've never seen or heard before until watching Tommy's videos. Maybe I've seen the process without the explanation, but the stopping to explain exactly what he is doing to prevent a problem was a first for me. :smile:

This is what would be great in your videos regardless of what the videos are about. It's the details that's important.

BTW, there are a lot of videos out there that are about making dovetails, sharpening chisels, making a box or chess set or cutting board and it would be nice to see something new that we don't normally see, anything different would be great. :thumbsup:

Okay, I've said enough on this subject for today. :laughing:

Buy for now.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts