Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking at adding a satellite TV of some sort and I'm wondering which one has the best woodworking shows.

Currently we have mediacom and they only have the Router Workshop and Yankee Workshop. I've heard there are others just as good and perhaps better.

From what I see, it looks like my choices are Direct TV or DishNetwork.

I'm hoping someone on this board can provide some accurate information on the best choices of woodworking videos.

Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have Direct TV and have had it since its inseption. As for specific woodworking shows, I only occasionally get a chance to watch. (2 daughters and a wife doesn't leave much time for my selection of programing) :icon_wink: The DIY Network has the most shows. I watch a woodturning program, musical instrument making program, and a furniture program on Saturday nights when I have time. The Home and Garden channel also has some good programing on remoldeling and such. Check out Direct TV's website and you can see the programing guide and make your own call. I am very satisfied with my programing choices.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I vote for DIY -- I'm glued to it whenever I'm at my in-law's. Their website at http://www.diynetwork.com/ has full-length videos of some of their woodworking shows for free -- I think 2-3 new ones every week, including Wood Works, which is probably my favorite. Browse to Woodworking, then to "More Exclusive Videos".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. It looks like the DIY channel is the one I've heard about.

We currently have Mediacom and my wife nearly lives on the HGTV channel. Unfortunately, Mediacom doesn't carry the DIY channel. We are looking at moving in the next few months and the new place doesn't have cable as an option. So I guess we'll either do without or go to a dish of some sort.

You are correct on the lack of availability to the TV. We currently have a DVR and that has changed my habits. I don't worry when anyone else wants to watch TV. i just set it up to record what I want to see and then watch it later. The other part of that is that I don't watch commericals anymore - just fast forward right through them. :yes:

·
Registered
40 Posts
We bypassed the commercial while in Germany for 3 years. My Mom would record the shows on VCR and send them to us once a month. We didn't get anything on the TV except German channels. :no:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts