Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone had told me about an ad that said "Seeking recently cheated-on wife who is willing to sell husband's shop tools cheap".
Doubt if it's real, but it is funny.

·
Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
5,552 Posts
LOL yeah, I see them sometimes.
1972 Corvette for sale: $125.00. Husband left me for some bimbo he met on the internet. He told me to sell his Vette and send him the money as the title was in both of our names.
Men's professional golf clubs and cart for sale: $100.00. Husband left me and I need the money to change the locks.
some are sad when you think they really could be true (to some extent).

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
The ads are likely true...now did she really sell them that cheap?

·
Thumb Nailer
2,877 Posts
Well for what it's worth, my Northern Industrial floor model drill press was bought for $75.00, and my Dremel 16" scroll saw was bought for $25.00 from 2 different guys on Craigslist. Same story though. Guys in their mid / late 30s facing divorce and liquidating hobby tools to afford relocating well away from the soon to be ex wife. So it hapens. And the deals were good, but considering the tools themselves, not great.

The drill press is the equal of the Central Machinery 16 speed floor model, typically go used for at that time $150.00, now they seem to get $200.00 used...

The old scroll saw worked / works well, but it was hit with an ugly stick. A VERY high price for it would have been $50.00. It might have been able to fetch $35.00 then... New cheap models that size and specs at the time could be had for $75.00 from Harbor Freight... Yeah it's been a while...

·
Registered
Retired engineer
409 Posts
Sometimes people just don't know what they have; or what they are buying. Wife bought me a 3" diameter Starrett dial indicator, 0-0.5" range with markings to 0.0002" for $5 once. She says, "Could you use this thing?" I was thinking, "Heck no, but I'll make a use for it."
Bought pilot's flight bag: two aircraft noise cancelling headsets, flight computer, and pilot's logbook at a garage sale. Asking $5; gave her $20 and at that felt like I was ripping her off. No, I am not a pilot :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sometimes people just don't know what they have; or what they are buying. Wife bought me a 3" diameter Starrett dial indicator, 0-0.5" range with markings to 0.0002" for $5 once. She says, "Could you use this thing?" I was thinking, "Heck no, but I'll make a use for it."
Bought pilot's flight bag: two aircraft noise cancelling headsets, flight computer, and pilot's logbook at a garage sale. Asking $5; gave her $20 and at that felt like I was ripping her off. No, I am not a pilot :)
I once found a 1967 Martin 000 Guitar at a garage sale for $20 with the stand. I was so excited I couldn't talk. I told my wife to tell the lady well take it and lets go. In the car, I started to feel guilty. I showed it to a friend at a guitar store and told him what happened. He told me it's not your responsibility to educate the seller. You paid what they said they wanted. After that, I started to feel a little better.
Anyway, they say women don't tell us what their shoes, etc cost and men don't tell their wives what they pay for shop tools, thats why we see them for sale so cheap sometimes. -Not that I buy womens' clothes that often, 🤣

·
Thumb Nailer
2,877 Posts
I once found a 1967 Martin 000 Guitar at a garage sale for $20 with the stand. I was so excited I couldn't talk. I told my wife to tell the lady well take it and lets go. In the car, I started to feel guilty. I showed it to a friend at a guitar store and told him what happened. He told me it's not your responsibility to educate the seller. You paid what they said they wanted. After that, I started to feel a little better.
Anyway, they say women don't tell us what their shoes, etc cost and men don't tell their wives what they pay for shop tools, thats why we see them for sale so cheap sometimes. -Not that I buy womens' clothes that often, 🤣
I'm a bass player, and a notorious cheapskate. Most of my basses are imports, SX to be specific, but I do have one Fender, okay Squier by Fender, garage sale find, Not a smokin hot deal like that Martin, but it was in like new shape for $20.00 with a stand, and a Gator case... Some parents bought it for their kid that didn't want to play bass, let it sit for 2 years and unloaded it...

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
3,268 Posts
I've had customers whose husbands either died or flew the coup and they've given me their tools. Most are junk, but some are ok.. The overwhelming majority of my customers are single career women with ex husbands.. I guess if my wife and I ever split I could easily find another in the area.. I'm FAR too loyal to cheat not to mention I have little to zero interest in starting over with another woman if she dies or kicks me to the curb. I HATE ugly surprises in women and the nonsense they want to put men through.. lol
Before I met Sylvia I met a bunch of dizzy broads I had ZERO in common with. One wanted me to spend my time with her clothes shopping in thrift stores..It's like waiting for aluminum to rust..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts