Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am searching for good woodworking magazines; the kind with nicely described projects in them. The kind where things are noticed. Large circulation in the US. Circulation outside the US would be a bonus.

What woodworking magazines do you like? Do you read? Why?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
There are a variety of "wood magazines" in the USA, each having a different degree of wood projects, descriptions, and challenges. Depending on where you are in woodworking, your tools, experience, and wood needs, it would be wise to review as many of the magazines (& other literature) available to you to learn from all of them, then practice, practice, practice. Be safe.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, but where I am is irrelevant. To quote from my original post,

"The kind where things are noticed. Large circulation in the US. Circulation outside the US would be a bonus."

This is more of a, where will an item be seen best by as many people as possible.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Your question "where will an item be seen best by as many people as possible?" makes me suspicious that you are asking this non-affiliated group of woodworkers to suggest for you, the best advertising forum for whatever you are trying to sell. Forgive me if I'm miss understanding your question...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bernie,

Yes, I must confess that I was trying to suggest that. But that is not what I am doing. I am looking for a magazine which would purchase a woodworking article that I have written. Therefore I want a magazine with wide circulation as that would increase the chances of a sale and of increasing the amount paid. And I was trying not to say that.

Anyway, the question is now moot. I also searched the web, local libraries, and book stores. Yesterday, for better or worse, I submitted the article to Popular Woodworking and I am awaiting their response. And I know that this is not a fast process.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
What you are asking this forum is a moot question for us. We are professional woodworkers, craftsman, hobbyists, and woodworking enthusiasts wanting to learn the craft. We all have questions seeking free advise from woodworking enthusiasts and we are all enthused to share our woodworking knowledge and experience at no charge.

I once submitted my workbench to a magazine which published my idea and paid me a modest fee. I also won a router combination kit for submitting the best "tip" of the particular publication.

Your article or idea may be one deserving a substantial monetary reward and if it is I hope to read it in a future woodworking magazine publication. You need to send your article in to all the major wood-working magazines. Those interested in publishing your article will send you their proposal. You will need to choose one and agree to their terms.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bernie, I may be new here, but I participate in a number of similar boards, mostly on metal work, and have offered hundreds, if not thousands of pieces of free advise. Sometimes I spend way too much time giving free advise. I have also benefited from the freely given advise of others there; greatly benefited. So I do appreciate the flavor and style of these boards. I am certainly an amateur in woodwork, but if any here have any questions that I may be able to help with, I will certainly do my best to answer.

And I am not new to publishing as I have had several articles published in metal working magazines. Contrary to what you propose about sending to many magazines at once, my experience is that they appreciate it if you wait for a response from them before submitting it to others. They wish to avoid "embarrassing situations" where the article might be published by two publications at once. And this way, I have more control. Perhaps, with a lot more publications in the market, the woodworking magazines may be different. But I thought I would at least try one at a time. This process can take many months, even years: my first article took about two years from submission to publication and I have several "in the pipe" at the present time.

As for the size of the monetary reward, it is never enough to even cover minimum wage for the time and effort required to put together a quality article. I guess that is why a lot of the magazines rely on freelance: they couldn't afford me or the other authors on a salary basis. But I am retired and on a limited income and any supplement is appreciated. So far, my writing has provided a small trickle. Forgive me for trying to maximize that.

I am surprised that you and the others here did not suggest even a single publication. Is there a forum rule against that?

Paul A.

What you are asking this forum is a moot question for us. We are professional woodworkers, craftsman, hobbyists, and woodworking enthusiasts wanting to learn the craft. We all have questions seeking free advise from woodworking enthusiasts and we are all enthused to share our woodworking knowledge and experience at no charge.

I once submitted my workbench to a magazine which published my idea and paid me a modest fee. I also won a router combination kit for submitting the best "tip" of the particular publication.

Your article or idea may be one deserving a substantial monetary reward and if it is I hope to read it in a future woodworking magazine publication. You need to send your article in to all the major wood-working magazines. Those interested in publishing your article will send you their proposal. You will need to choose one and agree to their terms.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I am searching for good woodworking magazines; the kind with nicely described projects in them. The kind where things are noticed. Large circulation in the US. Circulation outside the US would be a bonus.

What woodworking magazines do you like? Do you read? Why?
Paul - I'm sorry for being a pain in your butt. Your original post (question) can be answered by you and only you. If you live in the US - go to a good local library and read a few publications for free. Your answer lies in your own personal assessment of the magazines you read. If you don't have access to an American library, try purchasing a few publications on line (or better - most publications offer a free trial publication). If both of my suggestions fail to serve your needs - read between the lines of the magazine titles and choose one which soots your needs.

"Handyman..." suggest a publication aimed at the average "weekend" warrior type of woodworker. "Popular Wood... and Wood..." are probably aimed at the general skilled worker. "Fine Woodworking " and other publications suggest Craftsman or cabinet makers...

Forums are set up to inspire and encourage particular interests. As for woodworking forums, I belong to a few and I will never endorse any product or publication. Beyond the rules and regulations of this forum, you will nor see any endorsement from me. Good luck Paul

1 - 10 of 10 Posts