Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Andrew Close
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm extremely bummed. I just found out that the WoodWorks show (http://www.woodworksevents.com/) that was originally scheduled for Feb '08 in Schaumburg, IL. was canceled due to lack of vendor participation. And I've heard stories that last years Woodworking Show (http://thewoodworkingshow.com/) at the Odium in Villa Park took a huge nose dive due to lack of vendor support.

I was really looking forward to the Feb. show since I'm in the market for a Tablesaw and several other tools. It's nice, especially for a relative n00b, to walk around and be able to see (and possibly see demos) the tools that we're interested in without having to go to several different stores depending on the brand you're looking at.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to go about attracting and keeping big shows like this to a large metro area? I've got to imagine that Chicagoland has a fair number of WW'rs based on the clubs I've heard about and all the craftspeople in the area. Both Rockler and Woodcraft have stores here, although, they are both vendors that have pulled out of recent shows...

·
Registered
789 Posts
Probably about economics. We don't do home shows any longer, simply because we know how many jobs we sold from being there, and compare it to the expense of the booth rental, etc.

I agree, there is nothing like a touchy feely attraction to tools of any kind, but at least, you have vendors in your area that have showrooms, not to mention Enco and Jet are there as well...who are you really missing? Grizzly has a showroom up there somewhere, I think, and if not, they have one in Springfield, Missouri not far from you.

·
Andrew Close
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, i guess i can't complain too much. but last year i went to the woodworking show for the first time. never knew such a beast existed before. it was very awesome. :smile: just seeing all the different vendors, tools, jigs, attachments, STUFF. it was just a very cool experience. unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, i was unable to go this year due to a prior commitment. it turns out that this years show wasn't nearly as good as last years according to several people i've talked to. but the WoodWorks show sounded very promising. not only was i looking forward to seeing all these wonderful tools in one place, but i was planning on taking several of the training classes.
oh well, maybe next year.
i guess i have to wait til Feb for the Tablesaw anyway as most of the new models that are being released with riving knives won't be available until then anyway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Woodworking Shows

I'm on my way to the Columbus, Ohio Woodworking Shows show this Friday. It will be my first and I can't wait. Are there usually some good deals to be had or are the prices about average?

·
Andrew Close
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Phishead,

i've only been to one WW'ing show, and am fairly new to the hobby so i don't have a lot of tool buying experience. you are in for a treat though. it's like being a kid in a candy store. :thumbsup:
i've 'heard' that the vendors often offer very good discounts on floor models they have at the show because they don't want to cart everything back to where ever. not sure if that's truly the case. i'm sure you do get 'some' discount depending on what you buy.
you'll have fun just seeing all the toys :smile:
does your show offer classes that you can take? or is it just a vendor show? regardless, enjoy. :yes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts