Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Hey @Tree Hugger, your Google Photos link doesn't seem to work. I bought a mag drill for a friend at an estate sale a few years back. I never thought of using it the way you described. I was hoping your pictures showed some examples of the setup.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Yeah I didn't want to buy a jig for a 1 time use and I remembered the mag drill from work so I improvised.
If you ever use a mag drill the plate should 1/4" so it won't flex if your cranking a bit hard.
You must clamp the plate to the project
!/2 fiberboard used to protect the surface from possible marks from the plate.
Mag drills have slower rpms (made for drilling steel ) than you need but get the job done .
@Tree Hugger, thanks for the tips. I never would have thought of using a mag drill on wood. Actually, I had never seen one before the estate sale. The guy had an incredible shop. I saw it sitting there and stared at it until I figured out what it was. I pulled my phone out and goggled "magnetic drill" and found it. It's a beast, Milwaukee, must weigh 50 pounds. It worked - drill and magnet. There was 20 minutes left until the sale ended. I don't remember what they were asking, but I offered $150 and they took it. New, the same model was going for almost a grand. I didn't think I'd ever have a use for it, so I got it for my buddy. Nice thing is he stores it, paid for it and I can borrow it when/if I want! For myself, I picked up a nice 10-drawer tool chest for $25 that had about $100 in hardware in it!

Bench looks great. Glad to see your energy is coming back!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts