Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have been painting my own cabinets for about a month now and was wondering how other people paint cabinets.

I started with a wagner and although the noise was terrible it worked pretty well for what I am doing.
I switched to the wagner "paint crew" which is a cheaper version of a professional airless sprayer. I am having alot of difficulty with this because of the overspay in my small shop. Im also going through paint much more that I did with the hand held wagner. Runs and highlights are everywhere also.
Im thinking of going back to the handheld wagner because i have more control over the application but the noise (Im sure) bothers my warehouse neighbors. Any suggestions?

The paint crew airless seems to be designed for larger jobs considering the overspray and spray pattern. Is there anything in between or maybe a hand held that doesnt sound so loud?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I would advise using the paint crew sprayer but switch to a smaller tip. I searched it on the net and the one I seen came with a 413 tip. The 4 is half of the spray pattern width and the 13 is the size of the hole in thousands of an inch. I would try a 213 which will reduce your overspray as it only sprays a 4 inch wide pattern. If your paint is thin enough you might want to go down to a 211 but I would consult your paint store to know for sure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the research on the paint sprayer.

I thought about it and decided to return the sprayer and stick with my old faithfull hand-held wagner. Even if I bought the smaller spray tip I still have the lengthy clean up time with that 30 foot hose and 3 gallon tub... but thanks alot for the input!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use a CH airless to do cabinet spraying. I converted it to a gravity feed. Can hold as little as a gallon of paint.Real nice machine to use.

Stan

·
Registered
27,111 Posts
I like using a conventional paint sprayer with a 2 1/2 gal production tank. It puts enough volume out that you don't have the orange peal and lap marks you would have with the wagner. As far as the overspray you could rig up a paint booth with polyethylene plastic and put a spray booth fan in the wall. This would direct the overspray outside. I'm not as concerned with the amount of paint that is used. The labor savings in using this setup more than makes up for the paint used.

·
John
3,028 Posts
From what I've seen in most reviews and most of the painting forums I venture into, the Paint Crew is a genuine, certifiable POS. I can clean my spraytech in about 20 minutes. However, for smaller jobs I prefer a turbine driven HVLP. I have an Earlex but here are a couple of small units. The cheaper one sure looks like a Graco.
http://www.gleempaint.com/enhvsy.html
These little HVLP's have a better transfer efficiency than the airless sprays, translation, less overspray.:smile:
Downside is the small ones may require more thinning than one is used to. I haven't found it to be an issue, just shoot more coats.

·
Registered
652 Posts
an HVLP would be your best option, if trying to do it airless id go with a 211 or 209 fine finish tip. not sure if you can get them for the paint crew or not, graco makes them for a rac-x reversible (green top) as well as dual orifice setups for the old flat tip systems. a 413 i feel would be a nightmare on cabinets with not being able to move fast enough to avoid runs and sags.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts