Woodworking Talk banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
As others have said this is a very big choice with so many options you seriously can’t go into enough.

Personally I have been very happy with my Bosch setup. Wife got it for me for Christmas a few years ago at my request.

It came as a set from Amazon with the Router motor, fixed and plunge bases, edge guide and table. I leave the fixed base installed in the router and pull the motor out and insert into plunge base when needed. Not the highest end machine out there but serves the hobbiest needs very well.

Bosch 1617EVSPK 12 Amp 2-1/4-Horsepower Plunge and Fixed Base Variable Speed Router Kit with Benchtop Router Table and Deluxe Router Edge Guide https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F6NAU9G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_HH4B3KJQ404SW3JPDTTV

Would I love a Rockler lift table with all the bells and whistles (love their pop out aluminum throat plates) but it’s just overkill for my application.

This router also allows 1/2” and 1/4” router bits so you could spend a little extra and get him one of the big router bit assortment kits too. My “kids” (read that as wife cause kids were 1 and 3 at the time) got me a nice huge assortment of bits in storage cabinet. They aren’t super high quality ones but most I’ll only use once or twice here or there. Bits I use more often I’ll upgrade to higher end ones in time.

Just my two cents of what my wife did for me and I’ve been super happy with it. If he already has a router he likes to use he can always mount that in the table and keep the Bosch router out and useable free hand or make his own call.

Happy hunting for the right option.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My wife and I decided years ago, NO PRESENTS. When I want something for the shop or one of the cars (assuming it doesn't break the budget) I buy it. Same goes for her. We have actually done the same with our kids. We sat down with them and said "we never know what to get you and you don't know what to get us and asking for a list just seems wrong, so buy yourself what you want/need and we'll do the same". Of course we still buy for the grand-kids. It takes a whole lot of stress out of the holidays.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,
Obviously new here, and wasn't sure where to make this post.
(I typically find myself on recipe and crafting boards).
That being said, a Google search led me here.
My husband is a aircraft mechanic by trade but woodworking is where his heart is.
About a year ago as he was building out my pantry shelves, he mentioned in passing that having a router table would be nice as I chose a rather pretty profile for the edges. (Pics attached of what he did for me)
Fast forward, I have been saving my pennies for a table for him, but have no idea where to go from here. (Truth be told, I had no idea such a thing existed)
I have read countless "best router table" type reviews and my head is spinning.
He has a large shop so space isn't an issue. I'd like to keep it around 1,000.00 if possible.
Any direction you all can provide would really be great. Thanks
(Apologies, as I know this isn't the right thread for such a question, so any guidance where I should post this is appreciated)
Woodworker wife
My table saw has provisions for a router, and I have mine mounted there, so that may be an option.
Wood Engineering Hardwood Gas Machine tool
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive design

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Hey everyone,
sorry for the delay in replying... but he came home and I have to be in stealth mode.

Firstly, let me thank everyone again!

So, this is the route I have decided upon.
I ordered this...
lift

I took into account what everyone has said and upon my own (once you all clued me into what it was) search/educati
on on what it was, I think this would be a good addition to his shop.

Table.... more on this in a bit.

Then I thought I new motor may be in order. I am certain the two I posted are functional; but I thought it
might be time for an upgrade.
I tried to buy it (the Milwaukee) 3.5 hp model from Fastenal, even though it looked like it was in stock; it wasn't.
Got the same response from other vendors.

I know perhaps you can find the same model on ebay or Amazon.
I try and not buy from Amazon as best I can and while I do shop ebay, with something like this...
you get what I mean.

woodnthings and anyone else with some input, what motor would you advise that is different from the ones he currently has that are compatible with the lift I got?
You likened routers to hammers and as I said before that resonated with me. One machine can't possible do it all.

(off topic) a Pickaroon is awesome! We heat with wood and this has been a godsend.

FirebirdHank,
In some ways we do presents as you do!
We only exchange every so many years (for various reasons), this year is one we do.

Hippy Chip,
Looks like a great setup!

Thanks again everyone!
Margert

·
where's my table saw?
29,992 Posts
That Incra lift is essentially a rebranded Jess Em, even the model name uses the same words, MastRLift II. It should be fine.
I also own the Milwaukee 5625, a 3.5 HP Monster. It's also a fine router.
The tables that the Incra plate 8 1/4" X 11 3/4" fits are listed and include my Bench Dog Pro cast iron ones. These are very nice tables.

He should be jaw dropping excited!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hi all,

So this is what I decided about the table itself.

I think he should build it.
My reasoning is two-fold. Many of you have noted that you built your own, so yup he can do that too.
The second part is a bit more personal.
Meaning that life, work, basically reworking an entire house from top to bottom, he has forgotten that woodworking is fun!

Up until a week ago I had no idea what a lift was. You all opened my eyes to its' benefits, especially when I searched out videos to see exactly what it was. From there, I went into the shop and hunted his routers. I realized he didn't have a one.

I can visualize him opening it and me noting how I started out getting a table...
Honestly I can see him pulling out graph paper (he is old school so digital just frustrates him) and designing.
The lift will be the catalyst to get him back into something that just isn't something that has to be done, (fancy headers, pantry shelves, etc).
Sometimes you just need a new toy to remember what you live about something.

If my hunch is right, you all played a part in that.

I will keep you posted.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all!
(Wear your loose, comfy pants tomorrow) :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi all,

So this is what I decided about the table itself.

I think he should build it.
My reasoning is two-fold. Many of you have noted that you built your own, so yup he can do that too.
The second part is a bit more personal.
Meaning that life, work, basically reworking an entire house from top to bottom, he has forgotten that woodworking is fun!

Up until a week ago I had no idea what a lift was. You all opened my eyes to its' benefits, especially when I searched out videos to see exactly what it was. From there, I went into the shop and hunted his routers. I realized he didn't have a one.

I can visualize him opening it and me noting how I started out getting a table...
Honestly I can see him pulling out graph paper (he is old school so digital just frustrates him) and designing.
The lift will be the catalyst to get him back into something that just isn't something that has to be done, (fancy headers, pantry shelves, etc).
Sometimes you just need a new toy to remember what you live about something.

If my hunch is right, you all played a part in that.

I will keep you posted.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all!
(Wear your loose, comfy pants tomorrow) :D
You are an awesome wife to think like that and motivate him in such a way, on top of getting him the fun new “big boy toy” (as I tell my 5 year old son whenever I buy a new tool). He should love the gift and the gift of a fun engineering project.

Would love to see the finished table once he’s finished it.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts