Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
LJ
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello gracious woodworkers,
I represent the very bottom of the Woodworkers hierarchy. Not only do I have no significant experience, but I am also a procrastinator.

A few years back, I took a position as a grounds keeper at a residence in Philadelphia suburbs. A real cushy gig. I get the carriage-house apartment and one (of 3) garage spaces below.

Long story short, I have this nice little workshop to use. Woodworking is something that has been calling to me. This siren song coming in moments as menial as needing to put up a shelf ... and as wonderful as seeing fine woodwork in the homes of my private chef clients (wealthy "mainliners" ). Also thumbing through George Nakashima's book at a friends house.

What I wanted to ask here at the dawning of my attempt to become something of a woodworker is these questions:
1. Recommended books for beginners?
2. Is taking a class really worth it? They seems so expensive all be it understandable to cover materials cost. (I am but a humble chef with not much disposable income)
3. Join a coop? there are a few community wood-shops, has anyone ever been part of this sort of thing? I may have the space, but I have only basic tools including a banned saw, drill press, radial arm saw, and some random hand tools.

Ok, well thanks!

·
7,222 Posts
What I wanted to ask here at the dawning of my attempt to become something of a woodworker is these questions:
1. Recommended books for beginners?
2. Is taking a class really worth it? They seems so expensive all be it understandable to cover materials cost. (I am but a humble chef with not much disposable income)
3. Join a coop? there are a few community wood-shops, has anyone ever been part of this sort of thing? I may have the space, but I have only basic tools including a banned saw, drill press, radial arm saw, and some random hand tools.

Ok, well thanks!
Book recommendations are based on what you want to do, hand tools, power tools, turning etc.

Try searching in the forum. An example thread.
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/wood-working-literature-beginner-44684/

Classes are likely to be helpful if the subject matter is relevant to the projects you want to make. I am not sure what may be close to you.

Philly has a membership based co-operative. May be worth taking a look. I do not know how close to your location.

http://www.philadelphiawoodworks.com/membership/

·
Registered
834 Posts
Welcome!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts