Woodworking Talk banner

Woodturning Finish Fun!?!?

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  cuerodoc 
#1 ·
So I thought it would be fun and interesting to play a little game.........
If you could only use 1 finish for the rest of your turning days what finish would you use?

Any mixture/ratio of finishes is fine but you can only pick one to use for all of your turning needs. No explanation is needed but feel free to explain why you chose just this "ONE" FINISH.

(Being so very inexperienced in turning I thought this would be very helpful for people like me. I plan on using some of these)

So I guess I would use High Gloss Waterlox.

#3 ·
Sorry, I am not able to play the game. I would not be able to live with a single finish. Too much variation in my needs.

For my knobs and totes on the hand plane restorations I am normally using Tru-Oil, a blend of boiled linseed oil and dyes.

For some projects where I want a waterproof finish I use wipe-on-poly.

If I am making an item which will be contacting food, I use George's Clubhouse wax, a mix of beeswax and mineral oil. Sometimes I just use mineral wax, if I want a soft film knowing I will need to periodically re-apply.

If I want a fast application, soft finish I use EEE-UltraShine.

If I want a high gloss wax finish I have recently picked up "The Final Wax" made by a member of my local woodturning club. Mostly beeswax and shellac, but buffs to a high gloss.

If I do not need a waterproof finish, I sometimes use shellac. Easy to apply and brings out the grain very well.

I have purchased the General Finishes Woodturners Finish, but have not used this yet. Many folks on the forum like this.

At my local Woodturners meeting last evening, one member was showing a piece he finished with Waterlox, and another member said he never used Waterlox since he could not get the even depth of covering he desired. Just illustrates what may work for one person may not work for another.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.