Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else watch the show on PBS? I actually enjoy it, I DVR it each week and its helpful for me as a visual learner to see techniques done that can then be added to my repertoire.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I like it and have about 30 of them on my DVR. They do tend to rush through things. I wish they would explain things a bit more, but they only have a half hour and they are not Norm. It is the best we have on TV now in my area. They were showing Rough Cut for a while, but now it is off my PBS channel. The Wood Whisperer, online, is the best of what is out there now, IMO. Then there is Norm and repeats of the NYWS online, but only one a week.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
It's a good show but as Paul said they rush way too much.

What I have noticed lately is that the "hidden" safety lesson seems to have been lost. Most people that watched the earlier seasons never realized that there was a safety lesson.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I try to watch the show whenever I can. I like it but agree it goes by pretty fast. I live fairly close to their store in central Iowa and go there quite a bit. They have a great staff of folks that really know their stuff and have helped me out a lot. Many are woodworkers themselves. Every now and then I’ll see some of the guys that are on the show there including Don Peschke the guy that started it in the late 70's.

I used to really like to watch the New Yankee Workshop with Norm……but I don’t think it’s on anymore.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
jeopardy answer:

NYWS

american woodshop

woodsmith shop

woodworks

jeopardy question:

what are all the WW shows i used to get on my local PBS channels and don't get anymore!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I'm not that fond of it, actually. That babbling conversation amongst the hosts is kinda silly (IMHO) where they tell each things that each one of them already know.. That said, I still watch it...we don't have an overabundance of woodworking shows to watch.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Nothing personal to the guys on the show bit they annoy me. Feel like they're talking down a lot if the times. Don't care for tommy Mac either, he also annoys me. I miss Norm, and David Marks.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I have been recording the shows this year. Sometimes I go back to see how they make a particular cut or two. Notice how they use the table saw a lot. I like that. The babbling doesn't bother me.

I will admit that some of their projects are a little out of my league. But I still like to see how they do it.

·
Trytore Member
2,763 Posts
Nothing personal to the guys on the show bit they annoy me. Feel like they're talking down a lot if the times. Don't care for tommy Mac either, he also annoys me. I miss Norm, and David Marks.
Agree. I do think they are sincerely trying to convey the information in a way they think works. It's the style of pretending to show each other how to do things rather than the viewer that comes off as a bit affected. There are moments when we see a glimmer of excitement and love for woodworking from Don that I wish we would see more of.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I like the show for what it is. One advantage of the show is that the format allows for them to explore more diverse episode topics other than strictly project-based ones. For example, a show full of top tips, cool tools, etc. This is something that the format of Norm / David / Tommy Mac never really lent well to.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I find them all too simplistic. I did like Tommy Mac though.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I finally live somewhere I can get PBS Create shows, including Rough Cut and Woodsmith Shop.

I'll be honest... the hand tool forum here has ruined me. Watching the guys on Woodsmith Shop trying to set something up yesterday, involving a jig and a bunch of test cuts, I found myself thinking "I'd be done with that by now with hand tools... and I'm still pretty bad with them!" The projects are neat, and I like seeing how they go together, but their specific techniques don't seem to make much sense to me. It also bothers me that out of three episodes I've seen so far, they haven't used a guard on the table saw once, and I haven't seen them wearing hearing protection at all. The banter also bothers me, but they're woodworkers, not TV show hosts.

Rough Cut... again, I like the projects. I like that he uses hand tools where they're appropriate, and power tools where they're appropriate. I like the fact that the first episode I saw showed him putting on safety gear and using the guard on the saw. Tommy Mac strikes me as a guy who'd be a lot of fun to go to the bar with, and a really poor choice for a television personality.

·
Rustic furniture
1,197 Posts
Watched the show a number of times. I kinda enjoy it. I guess the old world processes are a lot of fun, but give me power tools and a chainsaw and I'll cut build time in less than half.
I've met Norm when I was doing a trade show. One of the nicer people I've met in years, and a very authentic type person. He is in person the way he is on TV.

One thing that bugs me about these shows is the expectation that we have anywhere near the tools these folks have.
Especially Norm's shop. That place is stocked to the hilt with tens to hundreds of thousands of $$'s worth of tools. There is hardly a project shown that the normal homeowner has the tools to mimic the project. And if you do have those tools, you have overhead that requires mass production of products to pay for that equipment.
This was especially true on This Old House. Materials and tools were supplied anf the homes remodeled routinely went far over budget. Theur processes were extremely costly and overblown.
So where some tidbits can be gleaned, they are great salesmen for the "product/tool" industries.

·
Registered
137 Posts
One thing that bugs me about these shows is the expectation that we have anywhere near the tools these folks have.
Especially Norm's shop. That place is stocked to the hilt with tens to hundreds of thousands of $$'s worth of tools. There is hardly a project shown that the normal homeowner has the tools to mimic the project.
Loved New Yankee, but yeah - Norm would pull out his Old New England Highboy Router Jig and buzz/whirr - "Be sure to tune in next week when we'll be..."

This was especially true on This Old House. Materials and tools were supplied and the homes remodeled routinely went far over budget. Their processes were extremely costly and overblown.
They certainly got that way for a number or years, but I think they got somewhat away from the McMansion renovations in recent years. Also "Ask this Old House" is more of a real-world show (tho' I have to turn off the sound during "What is it?").

·
Registered
792 Posts
sawdustfactory said:
I too agree. I watch all of the above shows just because its the only woodworking shows on tv. As for norm, yes he certainly was sponsored by tools. I liked his drawer full of routers. Most of us are lucky to have one let alone a dozen. It just seems that at least he took his time to explain things in a normal way. Those guys in their silly outfits and tommy Mac try to be funny to much. It's woodworking, not a comedy show

·
Cowboy up and do just it
535 Posts
I love the show, but everything PBS airs are shows I've seen several time already. I still watch them because they are interesting nun the less.

I've slaw watched New Yankee Wood Shop as well for many years. Two opposite techniques into woodworking: old tools vs. the newest tools sponsors want to promote. However, I just saw an episode on the Internet the other day where he was getting back to woodworking roots and working with hand planes. It was nice to see.

We do get Rough Cut in our area. PBS only started airing it in our area around 4 months ago. Good show.

In our other home we had a TV show that only dealt with wood turning. I don't remember the name but I had to watch it every Saturday. Cool show.

I place my DVR on all woodworking shows I can find; however, in this area at this time, we only get Woodsmith and Rough Cut. We do get This Old House in this area but I don't consider that as a woodworking show.

I just wish there were more on tv and not just on Saturdays. Woodworkers only watch tv on Saturdays? I don't think so. I'm forced to watch The Big Bang Theory every night. Ok, that is my favorite show after woodworking shows.

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum

1 - 20 of 25 Posts