Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

Ok this is my first question in the forum and I hope its quite a silly one.

I'm making my child a little wooden robot just like the image I'm attaching. I don't know how to make that wooden neck so that it allows the head to turn but it doesn't come out of it. I've seen others using rope for the neck or letting a little bit of wood come out of the head, but this one seems to allow turnings without that.

Do you think it is just fitted there with pressure and it can come out when playing with it, or that the head just doesn't turn?

This little thing is driving me crazy so any hint will be highly appreciated!

Thank you!!

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
27,749 Posts
If you want it to turn ....

Attach the head so it bottoms out on the dowel's end. Drill a small hole in the back of the head so it's 1/2" from the end of the dowel for a nail. Push the nail into the hole until it touches the dowel. Rotate the head so it leaves a circular ring mark on the dowel. Remove the dowel and cut all the way around the mark left by the nail, making a shallow groove. Saw the head off the nail and push it into the slot you made. It will retain the dowel in the head. Trim the nail to be flush with the back of the head and add a dab of glue.

Instead of a nail, you could use a smaller diameter dowel OR a screw with machine threads so you can remove it if needed. The slot would have to be as wide as the screw OR file the very end so it's smooth all the around about 1/4" up leaving the threads on the rest of the screw.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking at the neck and ropes, now I believe that the ropes go through the neck, keeping it in place... If the neck is wide enough, that's it!

Thanks for your replies!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts