Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have made a few pens now out of 3/4 x 3/4 x 6" acrylic blanks which after I'm done leaves me with a 1" spare part, I just can't throw anything away and have been thinking of what to do with them and I have come up with the idea of making a wooden pen with a 1/2 piece of acrylic near the end, so about 5" of wood then 1/2" of acrylic then 1/2" of wood, but I'm not sure if it would look good has anyone done this if so could I see some pictures, cheers, not sure if I should of put this in the turning section,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jimbo,
I've never used acrylic with wood in a turning operation and believe that any combination of the kind needs adhesive that is able to either, bind, meld, or fuse both materials as one. I don't recommend any and the only thought that comes to mind is an epoxy application that accommodates these two materials in hope that it works.

My reluctance is that plastic turning can be toxic as well as
combining any epoxy type of glue that when friction created heat may separate the join or dull the turning bit.

There is a possible solution to use the excess piece as a pen stand and the drilling operation requires a method to clamp the acrylic and drill it to the diameter of the pen.

Have you tried this company:http://www.pennstateind.com/store/pen-kits.html?gclid=COzi257y17MCFcRa4AodChQAdQ

Hope this helps.

·
Turning noob
1,817 Posts
Jimbo. said:
Hello everyone, I have made a few pens now out of 3/4 x 3/4 x 6" acrylic blanks which after I'm done leaves me with a 1" spare part, I just can't throw anything away and have been thinking of what to do with them and I have come up with the idea of making a wooden pen with a 1/2 piece of acrylic near the end, so about 5" of wood then 1/2" of acrylic then 1/2" of wood, but I'm not sure if it would look good has anyone done this if so could I see some pictures, cheers, not sure if I should of put this in the turning section,
Just super glue the 1/2 acrylic on the ends before drilling, you will be fine, I've done it..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts