Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you built a wooden clock? Im looking for a first clock and looking for simple plans.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Have any of you built a wooden clock? Im looking for a first clock and looking for simple plans.

I made several an there is plenty on the internet that are free plans most I have done not simple plans wooden gears an lots of fret work :thumbsup:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive been looking around at the various plans, but to me li looks like the goal of each of them was to make it as complex as possible.

How did you get started in building them?

·
HALL OF FAMER
8,569 Posts
There is really no magic in building a wooden clock. I can be as simple as cutting out a shape that you like in a piece of wood and installing a clock insert for the movement. You can kick it up a notch it you like but cutting a recess to accept a clock motor and add a face to the front. I've made many many clocks over the years, from large fretwork clocks, to wooden gear clocks, to small little desk clocks and I enjoyed making every one of them.
What kind of clock are you looking at making? Wall clock. Mantel clock. Desk clock.
That would be a good start right there. Deciding what kind you want to make.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
the level of your woodworking skills will play a role on your clock making capabilities. look on line, maybe klockit, and see the type of stuff that is offered. a clock movement (battery or mechanical) can be placed in most any kind of wooden casework/cabinet/box. there is a lot out there. have fun.

·
I like Nails
331 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts