Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know my posting of projects here has been rather quiescent the past couple of months. I have been busy in the shop - making Christmas gifts, birthday gifts and YouTube videos (if you can call them that), on top of that, I've been spending many, many hours selling stuff from our now-closed electronics shop on eBay.

Three different "styles" of burr. All three of these actually work the exact same way. They're only cosmetically different. These each have 6 separate pieces that fit together.

Pctures (10).jpg

Pctures (11).jpg

The large one is made from 4x4 cut from the tops of the corner posts of the gazebo I'm building in our back yard. It's actually too loose. Rather than discard it, I have this one screwed together and it will possibly reside in the gazebo when it finally get it done.

Burrs contd 004.jpg

Here, you can see some of the other variations I've been making. You can also see my "double burr" (double star) variation (The double burr is my own version that I came up with many years ago). The double burr/star consists of 10 separate pieces. The puzzles shown only represent a portion of the quantity I've been churning out. Some will be given away as gifts and some will be for sale. Some, of course, will adore my home as ornamental (and puzzle) objects.

Burrs contd 005.jpg

Here's two of the starburst puzzles I've made so far.

Burrs contd 015.jpg

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
This starburst is made from poplar and mahogany. The starburst puzzles are comprised of 24 separate pieces.

Burrs contd 019.jpg

Burrs contd 020.jpg

Burrs contd 021.jpg

Here's a starburst dismantled into its separate components. This one is all poplar.

Burrs 029.jpg

Thanks for looking in.

·
In The Basement
460 Posts
Yes they are amazing, they look like they were machined not cut manually...I used to play with the plastic ball ones when I was 10 that was before the internet

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments, guys.

Yes they are amazing, they look like they were machined not cut manually...I used to play with the plastic ball ones when I was 10 that was before the internet
I cut them on the band saw, using a sled I made. This ensures that I cut the perfect angle every time. On these things, angle and spacing are critical.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As soon as I get a chance I'll be uploading pictures of a 10-piece, trick-carved, hanging puzzle (based on my double burr) that I carved when I was 19 years old. I think you guys will like it. It's pretty ornate and very, very unique. I've never seen anything like it: before nor since. Not even close :thumbsup:

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rather pointy aren't they? :laughing:
You should hold one before sanding. THAT'S pointy! Actually though, after sanding they're pretty soft and comfortable to hold. But before, they're quite pointy and sharp.

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
Steve, where are you selling these? How do I get some? My wife and I both love these kinds of puzzles and really want the younger kids to be able to enjoy them as well. PM me if you prefer that to open comms.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The hell is "quiescent"??? Don't you try to get me to LEARN something while I'm here looking at woodworkin'!!!

Really cool as always bro.
Tough, you're going to learn: Even if it kills you!

Quiescence is a state of dormancy or inactivity: A "Standby" state, like a TV that's plugged in but powered off.

WOW! Very, very cool. How would one go about getting one when they're on sale?
Steve, where are you selling these? How do I get some? My wife and I both love these kinds of puzzles and really want the younger kids to be able to enjoy them as well. PM me if you prefer that to open comms.
I'll be trying to sell some of these at our 22nd annual woodcarving (and now woodworking) show next month. Right now that's my only planned outlet for the time being. I'd be more than happy to sell to you guys. I haven't decided on my pricing yet but I'll keep it as reasonable as I can. On the regular single burrs (any of the three variations), however, I'm thinking somewhere in the $7-8 range.

Just send me a PM letting me know what you guys might be interested in and I'll give you a price as soon as I figure it out. Of course, you're welcome to watch my YouTube video on making the burr and make your own. In the next week or two I'll have videos for making the double burr and the starburst posted as well.

Making the 6-piece single burr https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPqE38pGgfg

There's actually two different ways this same burr can be made. The two different methods assemble in different ways and have different sets of pieces.

Here's my video on adding the cosmetic "upgrades" to that basic burr https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1cDojE8ioU

As always, please excuse the verbal disfluencies in the videos.

That said, I'd be glad to sell you guys as many of these as you might want. ;)

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the positive comments, guys.

Those are way too cool! Interesting. I can't figure out the time and effort went into this project! Way to go!
Amazingly, you can make without too much effort once you understand the layout. Making a template makes it go even faster.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Those are totally cool puzzles. They look fun and challenging especially the starburst ones with different wood colors. They make unique and cool gifts to give to friends and family members. Amazing work you did!

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Those are totally cool puzzles. They look fun and challenging especially the starburst ones with different wood colors. They make unique and cool gifts to give to friends and family members. Amazing work you did!
Thank you!

Wait till you see the one I designed last night. It's a 16-piece QUAD burr! I'll post pictures of it as soon as I get a chance. My original prototype worked great but had two "keys". So I redesigned a few pieces and made it an elegant single key puzzle, which was precisely my objective. Amazingly, from concept to working model, it only took me a couple hours. And I didn't used CAD or any other aide to design it. I can't wait to show you guys. I'm pretty proud of the design.

I'm now pondering an 8 burr puzzle that - if I can figure out all the logistic, will be a mind-blowing puzzle of incredible awesomeness! I'm pretty confident I'll be able to create it. :thumbsup: I don't know what the parts count would be yet but it should be quite the sight to behold and quite the brain melter to solve.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts