Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I am very new to this site and also to woodworking. I used to watch my dad when he fussed around in his workshop but sadly he is no longer with me. I want to pick up where he left off (in a workshop full of odds and ends) and I'm looking to make a nightlight out of a small wooden birdhouse. The idea is to drill small holes in the roof so the light will shine on the ceiling much like stars.
My questions are a lot, I think so please bear with me. Any help is really appreciated, as I don't want to start a fire with my first project.
Am I stuck using a nightlight sized bulb (4 - 7 w) with a snap in socket (which I like the idea of for ease in changing the bulb) or can I use a larger bulb, either LED or incandescent? I know cfl's are not supposed to be used in closed fixtures, but I'm looking for something brighter than a small candelabra nightlight.
Also, should I line the inside with tin foil to protect the wood? (someone told me that was a good idea, but I think that would just make it too hot inside).
The birdhouse interior dimensions are roughly 6 inches high and about 5 inches diameter hexagon
Again, thanks for any help..

·
Registered
845 Posts
Look into the LED puck lights designed for under cabinet lighting---

They are cheap---and generate little heat---I have seen low voltage ones and even battery opperated.

A c-7 lamp might be fine---but they are warm and have a short life.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I would use an LED. They last a long time, and generate very little heat. A replacement bulb for LED Christmas lights would probably work.,

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
I'm glad you're considering the heat. I would definitely stay with a small bulb. I might put the light in an empty can and build the house around it.
If the little roof is made with holes in it, it should be okay as long as it's 3" or so away from the small bulb. Heat rises, so I would not put finish on the underside of the roof and I wouldn't use any wood that's very easy to burn like cedar.

Reactions: ivy951

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, everyone! I think I'll go with the snap in socket with a c-7 LED bulb. I'll stay away from coating the inside just in case.

I'll let you know how it turns out, (if I ever finish it) ; )

1 - 5 of 5 Posts