Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

My friend gave me an old wooden shelf a while back and I had the fun inspiration to try to turn it into a beer mug that I could give to my parents for their mountain house. I think it turned out pretty cool looking!

Hope you like and thanks for watching!

·
johnep
2,140 Posts
Great job. I must say I liked the look of your house and surrounds. No place like it in the UK as too wet and windy. Also noted the US flag. If we flew the Union Jack from our house ....would be accused of racism!.
Our multicultural society is at the root of our problems. My nephew in Texas is proud to fly the US flag.
johnep

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great job. I must say I liked the look of your house and surrounds. No place like it in the UK as too wet and windy. Also noted the US flag. If we flew the Union Jack from our house ....would be accused of racism!.
Our multicultural society is at the root of our problems. My nephew in Texas is proud to fly the US flag.
johnep
That is actually up in Big Bear, CA which is a mountain town in So Cal - love it up there and it was perfect for the final mug setting. It was 4th of July weekend - so waving the American flag was encouraged.

Most of the build was down at my folks place in Southern California - also a great place. Thanks for watching!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice work!

At the beginning of the video you state that it is Walnut, sure looks like Oak to me?
Thanks! You know what - it totally is not Walnut - my friend gave me the shelves and told me they were, and after planing them down and finishing the project, I think they're a Mahogany species actually - should have found a way to correct myself!

·
Artist
26 Posts
Pretty nice for limited tooling.

I want to make one now, I have lathes though.

Its been hot here so I need to start early in the morning.

·
Smart and Cool
2,485 Posts
Thanks! You know what - it totally is not Walnut - my friend gave me the shelves and told me they were, and after planing them down and finishing the project, I think they're a Mahogany species actually - should have found a way to correct myself!
I'm only about 99.9999% certain it is oak...

I can tell you for certain it is not Mahogany either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.