Woodworking Talk banner

wood warping???

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Laura B 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone has ever had any problems with MDF warping when they use it in hot temps? I am making an entertainment unit in my garage which is really hot. I have glued and dismantled it( with a hammer I might add! coz im getting rather pissed with it.) twice already. the thing is, I glue it and screw it, measure and make sure its all level and when I come back to it in a couple of days it seems to have warped and be crooked and unlevel. could this be because of the heat in the garage? or do I just realllly suck at woodwork!. :censored: im thinking of giving up but I have really enjoyed doing it when its all goin smooth. also is there anyway I can try to fix it once its warped rather than take it all apart and start again? it the uprights that keep going crooked. either they all lean to the left or all to the right. the picture is from the first attempt. it wouldn't matter so much but I want to put doors on each end cubby and they wont fit because its not straight. this is my first woodworking project so any advice would be great. Furniture Room Table Floor Shelf

See less See more
Discussion starter · #4 ·
I had thought that, but I wanted an open back on the unit. do u think it would make it any better if I just put panels in the back of the end sections and left the middle shelves backless? is racking the term used for the problem? I am putting a solid matai top on it, maybe I could "force" it into shape when I attach the top? lol.

Discussion starter · #10 ·
I would say it is racking. after reading all the helpful things people have replied with I think I will try and add a back on it and put a divider in the middle section of shelves. its worth a crack! thanks :)

Discussion starter · #11 ·
Just used the website. its so cool! my shelves should be okay as long as I don't put over 6kgs on them. thanks for the link. its now saved to my favourites for future reference. cheers! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.